About this Item
- Lilli Vincenz papers,
- Correspondence, journals, speeches, writings, interviews, surveys and questionnaires, academic files, organizational files, biographical material, Vincenz family papers, press clippings, printed matter, and other papers relating primarily to Vincenz's life as a gay civil rights activist, her work to support and empower lesbians and gay men, and her documentation of the gay and lesbian civil rights movement. Files on the Community for Creative Self-Development (originally the Program for Creative Self-Development) founded and directed by Vincenz and her partner, Nancy Ruth Davis, include minutes and materials relating to conferences, courses, retreats, and workshops on topics such as gay dating, gay history, and homophobia. Also includes typescripts of Vincenz's column for GAY newspaper, New York, N.Y., and material pertaining to Frank Kameny and his 1971 campaign for delegate from the District of Columbia to the U.S. Congress, the Gay Women's Open House, the Whitman-Walker Clinic Empowerment Group for People Living with AIDS, and Vincenz's films documenting early gay rights events and other aspects of the gay rights movement.
- Contributor Names
- Vincenz, Lilli.
- Subject Headings
- - Davis, Nancy Ruth
- - Kameny, Frank,--1925-2011
- - Community for Creative Self-Development
- - Gay Women's Open House
- - Program for Creative Self-Development
- - Whitman-Walker Clinic.--Empowerment Group for People Living with AIDS
- - Civil rights
- - Civil rights movements
- - Dating (Social customs)
- - Gay couples
- - Gay men
- - Gay newspapers--New York (State)--New York
- - Gay rights
- - Homophobia
- - Homosexuality
- - Homosexuality--Societies, etc
- - Lesbians
- - Political campaigns--Washington (D.C.)
- - Vincenz family
- - GAY (New York, N.Y.)
- - Arranged by type of material, and alphabetically and chronologically therein.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Lilli Vincenz Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Gift, Lilli Vincenz, 2013.
- - Audiovisual materials transferred to Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
- - Some photographs transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Gay rights activist, psychotherapist, and documentary filmmaker. Born 1937.
- - Collection material in English with some French and German.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms014015
- 10,500 items.
- 32 containers plus 1 oversize.
- 12.8 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Restrictions apply.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Civil Rights
- Civil Rights Movements
- Community for Creative Self-Development
- Dating (Social Customs)
- Davis, Nancy Ruth
- Empowerment Group for People Living With Aids
- Gay (New York, N.Y.)
- Gay Couples
- Gay Men
- Gay Newspapers
- Gay Rights
- Gay Women's Open House
- Kameny, Frank
- New York
- New York (State)
- Political Campaigns
- Program for Creative Self-Development
- Societies, Etc
- Vincenz Family
- Washington (D.C.)
- Whitman-Walker Clinic
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vincenz, Lilli. Lilli Vincenz papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm2013085786.
APA citation style:
Vincenz, L. Lilli Vincenz papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm2013085786.
MLA citation style:
Vincenz, Lilli. Lilli Vincenz papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm2013085786>.
More Collections like this
CollectionFrank Kameny papers, Correspondence, case files, legal records, organization records, subject files, printed matter, and other papers relating to Kameny's work as an activist, organizer, and counselor in the gay rights movement. Reflects the politicization...
- Contributor: Mattachine Society of Washington - Kameny, Frank
CollectionPaul Kuntzler papers, Correspondence, news clippings, printed matter, photographs, and other material pertaining chiefly to Kuntzler's role as an advocate for gay rights and to his personal life. Documents his activism and involvement in national...
- Contributor: Kuntzler, Paul
CollectionWilliam Henry Richards papers, Correspondence, legal files, financial files, printed matter, clippings, and other papers relating to Richards's career as an African American lawyer in Washington, D.C., and professor of law at Howard University, Washington, D.C....
- Contributor: Richards, William Henry
CollectionJames Free papers, Story files and scrapbooks of clippings (1937-1982) of Free's articles for various newspapers, particularly as Washington, D.C., correspondent for the Birmingham News covering the civil rights movement and the Cold War; articles...
- Contributor: Free, James
CollectionKenneth Bancroft Clark papers, Correspondence, memoranda, minutes, speeches, writings, reports, transcripts of interviews and testimony, subject files, project files, academic files, administrative files, financial records, family papers, secondary background material, printed matter, photographs and other papers...
- Contributor: Clark, Phipps, Clark, and Harris - Metropolitan Applied Research Center - City University of New York. City College. Social Dynamics Research Institute - Kenneth B. Clark and Associates - Clark, Kenneth Bancroft - Universal Negro Improvement Association