About this Item
- Olmsted Associates records, 1863-1971
- Correspondence, letterbooks (1884-1899), journals, reports, memoranda, deeds and contractual arrangements, financial records, plans and specifications, blueprints and diagrams, nursery orders, personnel records, scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, and other material, chiefly 1910-1950, documenting the history and growth of the firm. The records trace the firm's work in the District of Columbia, including the U.S. Capitol and White House grounds; with the park systems of Baltimore, Md., Brooklyn and Buffalo, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and Hartford, Conn.; with the Chicago World's Fair (1893), Pan-American Exposition (1899-1901), and Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition (1909); with various American universities and private estates; and with evolving concepts in urban and suburban development and the creation of recreational areas. Includes papers of Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), his son, Frederick Law Olmsted (1870-1957), John Charles Olmsted (1852-1920), and other members of the Olmsted (Olmstead) family.
- Correspondents include Frances Benjamin Johnston, Henry Cabot Lodge, Gifford Pinchot, Whitelaw Reid, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Augustus Saint-Gaudens, William H. Taft, George Washington Vanderbilt, and Booker T. Washington.
- Contributor Names
- Olmsted Associates.
- Subject Headings
- - Johnston, Frances Benjamin,--1864-1952--Correspondence
- - Lodge, Henry Cabot,--1850-1924--Correspondence
- - Olmstead family
- - Pinchot, Gifford,--1865-1946--Correspondence
- - Reid, Whitelaw,--1837-1912--Correspondence
- - Rockefeller, John D.,--Jr.--(John Davison),--1874-1960--Correspondence
- - Saint-Gaudens, Augustus,--1848-1907--Correspondence
- - Taft, William H.--(William Howard),--1857-1930--Correspondence
- - Vanderbilt, George Washington,--1862-1914--Correspondence
- - Washington, Booker T.,--1856-1915--Correspondence
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - White House (Washington, D.C.)
- - Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition--(1909 :--Seattle, Wash.)
- - Pan-American Exposition--(1901 :--Buffalo, N.Y.)
- - World's Columbian Exposition--(1893 :--Chicago, Ill.)
- - Dwellings
- - Exhibitions--Illinois
- - Exhibitions--New York (State)
- - Exhibitions--Washington (State)
- - Gardens
- - Landscape architecture
- - Landscape architecture--Connecticut--Hartford
- - Landscape architecture--Maryland--Baltimore
- - Landscape architecture--New York (State)--New York
- - Landscape architecture--New York (State)--Buffalo
- - Landscape architecture--Washington (D.C.)
- - Nurseries (Horticulture)
- - Parks--Connecticut--Hartford
- - Parks--Maryland--Baltimore
- - Parks--New York (State)--New York
- - Parks--New York (State)--Buffalo
- - Parks--Washington (D.C.)
- - Recreation areas
- - Suburbs
- - Universities and colleges
- - Urban beautification
- - White House Gardens (Washington, D.C.)
- - Arranged in nine series. Series 1: Letterbooks, 1884-1899; Series 2: Job Files, 1863-1971; Series 3: General Correspondence, 1884-1895; Series 4: Special Correspondence, 1874-1899; Series 5: Business Records, 1868-1950; Series 6: Scrapbooks and Albums, 1893-1917; Series 7: Miscellany, 1883-1964; Series 8: Family Papers, 1868-1903; and Series 9: Oversize, 1889-1952.
- - Microfilm edition (negative only) of job books available, no. 15,305.
- - Microfilm edition of job books index available, no. 15,672 (negative : no. 15,318).
- - Microfilm edition of letterbooks index available, no. 18,274).
- - Microfilm edition of letterbooks (conts. A1-A76) available, no. 19,702.
- - Microfilm edition of Series B, Job Files 1-9103 (conts. B1-B478) available, no. 20,112.1-20,112.8.
- - Microfilm edition of the finding aid available, no. 22,305.
- - In part, microfilm edition produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1981-2005.
- - Microfilm produced from original job books index in the offices of the Olmsted Associates. Brookline, Mass.
- - Olmsted Associates, Inc., Brookline, Massachusetts.
- - Gift, Olmsted Associates, 1967-1971.
- - Gift, American Society of Landscape Architects, via: Rodney P. Mercer, 1986.
- - Purchase, 1971-1973.
- - Landscape architects. Chronology of names used by the firm: Olmsted and Vaux, 1858; Frederick Law Olmsted, 1858-1884; F.L. and J.C. Olmsted, 1884-1889; F.L. Olmsted and Company, 1889-1893; Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot, 1893-1897; F.L. and J.C. Olmsted, 1897-1898; Olmsted Brothers, 1898-1961; and Olmsted Associates, 1961 (partnership) and 1964 (incorporated).
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001018
- - MSS52571
- 170,000 items.
- 638 containers plus 23 oversize.
- 532 microfilm reels.
- 255 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- Restrictions may apply to unprocessed material.
- Online Format
- web page
- Landscape architectural firm. The records include correspondence, letterbooks, memoranda, reports, plans, specifications, newspaper clippings, photographs, drawings, journals, account books, ledgers, lists, diagrams, blueprints, deeds, and printed matter constituting the business files of the firm and reflecting the breadth of the projects undertaken by its staff. A small group of Olmsted family papers is also contained in the collection.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
White House Gardens
Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition (1909 : Seattle, Wash.)
Johnston, Frances Benjamin
Lodge, Henry Cabot
New York (State)
Pan-American Exposition (1901 : Buffalo, N.Y.)
Rockefeller, John D.
Rockefeller, John D., Jr. (John Davison)
Taft, William H.
Taft, William H. (William Howard)
United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
Universities and Colleges
Vanderbilt, George Washington
Washington, Booker T.
White House (Washington, D.C.)
White House Gardens (Washington, D.C.)
World's Columbian Exposition
World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Olmsted Associates. Olmsted Associates records, -1971. 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001018.
APA citation style:
Olmsted Associates. (1863) Olmsted Associates records, -1971. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001018.
MLA citation style:
Olmsted Associates. Olmsted Associates records, -1971. 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001018>.