About this Item
- James Gordon Bennett papers,
- Chiefly correspondence (1861-1864) concerning the Civil War and national politics, addressed to Bennett as publisher of the New York Herald, by staff reporters located at the headquarters of Gen. George Brinton McClellan in Washington and in the field. Also includes letters addressed to Bennett's assistant and business manager, Frederic Hudson, recipient copy of a letter (1845) from Bennett to Thomas Ritchie, drafts of articles, clippings (1862-1863), and pamphlets. Correspondents include Nathaniel Prentiss Banks, James Gordon Bennett, Jr., Charles G. Halpine, Thurlow Weed, and Fernando Wood.
- Contributor Names
- Bennett, James Gordon, 1795-1872.
- Subject Headings
- - Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss,--1816-1894--Correspondence
- - Bennett, James Gordon,--1841-1918--Correspondence
- - Halpine, Charles G.--(Charles Graham),--1829-1868--Correspondence
- - Hudson, Frederic,--1819-1875--Correspondence
- - McClellan, George B.--(George Brinton),--1826-1885
- - Ritchie, Thomas,--1778-1854--Correspondence
- - Weed, Thurlow,--1797-1882--Correspondence
- - Wood, Fernando,--1812-1881--Correspondence
- - New York herald
- - American newspapers--New York (State)
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Journalists
- - United States--Politics and government--1861-1865
- - Microfilm edition available, no. 19,765.
- - Microfilm produced from originals and photocopies in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1988.
- - In part, negative photocopies of originals in private hands. [S.l.].
- - Private
- - Gift, J. Franklin Jameson, 1934.
- - Purchase, 1919-1931.
- - Newspaper publisher.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms007004
- - Includes a transfer in 1938 from the Papers of Manton Marble.
- 225 items.
- 1 container.
- 1 microfilm reel.
- 0.4 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- (Charles Graham)
- (George Brinton)
- American Newspapers
- Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss
- Bennett, James Gordon
- Civil War
- Halpine, Charles G.
- Hudson, Frederic
- McClellan, George
- New York (State)
- New York Herald
- Politics and Government
- Ritchie, Thomas
- United States
- Weed, Thurlow
- Wood, Fernando
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bennett, James Gordon. James Gordon Bennett papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm75012427.
APA citation style:
Bennett, J. G. James Gordon Bennett papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm75012427.
MLA citation style:
Bennett, James Gordon. James Gordon Bennett papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm75012427>.
More Collections like this
CollectionJames Gordon Bennett papers, 1845-1934 Newspaper publisher. Correspondence, clippings, drafts of articles, and printed material reflecting Bennett’s career as publisher of the New York Herald.
- Contributor: Bennett, James Gordon
- Date: 1845
CollectionEdmund Burke papers, Correspondence, speeches, drafts of newspaper editorials, committee reports, resolutions, commissions, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings pertaining to Burke's career as a newspaper editor in New Hampshire and as a U.S. congressman from New...
- Contributor: Burke, Edmund
CollectionEdmund Burke papers, 1821-1881 Lawyer, newspaper editor, and U.S. representative. Correspondence, drafts of newspaper editorials, speeches, committee reports, resolutions, commissions, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings pertaining to Burke's career as a newspaper editor in New Hampshire and...
- Contributor: Burke, Edmund
- Date: 1821
CollectionGeorge B. McClellan papers, Correspondence, diary of military experiences in World War I, lectures, writings, subject files, printed matter, scrapbooks kept as a student at Princeton, printed matter, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to McClellan's...
- Contributor: McClellan, George (George Brinton)
CollectionStephen Bonsal papers, 1890-1973 Journalist and foreign correspondent. Correspondence, diaries, writings, and other material relating chiefly to Bonsal's career as a journalist and as foreign correspondent for the New York Herald and New York Times.
- Contributor: Bonsal, Stephen
- Date: 1890