About this Item
- Margaret Sanger papers,
- Correspondence, diaries, speeches, lectures, articles, organizational records, clippings, scrapbooks, printed matter, photographs, memorabilia, and other papers relating to Sanger's activities on behalf of birth control in the U.S. and throughout the world. Includes material relating to national and international congresses and conferences organized by Sanger, to her campaign to enlist public opinion and congressional support for federal legislation on birth control, and to her participation in socialist politics and liberal reform groups. Includes records of organizations with which she was associated such as American Birth Control League, Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau (New York, N.Y.), Birth Control Federation of America, Margaret Sanger Research Bureau, National Committee on Federal Legislation for Birth Control, and Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
- Correspondents include Ruth Manierre Delafield, Françoise Rousel Delisle, Hugh De Sélincourt, Havelock Ellis, James Waldo Fawcett, Richard Figdor, Clarence James Gamble, Emma Goldman, Julian Huxley, Shizué Kato, Anne Kennedy, Mabel Dodge Luhan, Kitty Marion, Katherine Dexter McCormick, Ruth P. Pinchot, Florence Rose, J. Rutgers, Marie Charlotte Carmichael Stopes, Rabindranath Tagore, H.G. Wells, and the Watumull Foundation.
- Contributor Names
- Sanger, Margaret, 1879-1966.
- Subject Headings
- - Delafield, Ruth Manierre--Correspondence
- - Delisle, Françoise Roussel--Correspondence
- - De Sélincourt, Hugh,--1878-1951--Correspondence
- - Ellis, Havelock,--1859-1939--Correspondence
- - Fawcett, James Waldo,--1893-1968--Correspondence
- - Figdor, Richard--Correspondence
- - Gamble, Clarence James,--1894---Correspondence
- - Goldman, Emma,--1869-1940--Correspondence
- - Huxley, Julian,--1887-1975--Correspondence
- - Katō, Shizue,--1897---Correspondence
- - Kennedy, Anne--Correspondence
- - Luhan, Mabel Dodge,--1879-1962.--Correspondence
- - McCormick, Katharine Dexter,--1875-1967--Correspondence
- - Marion, Kitty--Correspondence
- - Pinchot, Ruth P.--Correspondence
- - Rose, Florence--Correspondence
- - Rutgers, J.--(Johannes),--1850-1924--Correspondence
- - Stone, Abraham,--1890---Correspondence
- - Stopes, Marie Carmichael,--1880-1958--Correspondence
- - Tagore, Rabindranath,--1861-1941--Correspondence
- - Wells, H. G.--(Herbert George),--1866-1946--Correspondence
- - American Birth Control League
- - Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau (New York, N.Y.)
- - Birth Control Federation of America
- - Margaret Sanger Research Bureau
- - National Committee on Federal Legislation for Birth Control
- - Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- - Watumull Foundation--Correspondence
- - Birth control
- - Birth control--Congresses
- - Birth control--Government policy--United States
- - Birth control--Law and legislation--United States
- - Birth control--Societies, etc
- - Liberalism
- - Sexual health
- - Social problems
- - Socialism
- - United States--Politics and government--20th century
- - United States--Social conditions--20th century
- - Arranged in eleven series. Series 1: Diaries, 1914-1953; Series 2: Personal Correspondence, 1900-1956; Series 3: General Correspondence, 1915-1954; Series 4: Professional File, 1914-1965; Series 5: Conference File, 1921-1955; Series 6: Speeches and Writings File, 1912-1960; Series 7: Scrapbooks, 1903-1946; Series 8: Clippings, 1915-1966; Series 9: Miscellany, 1914-1961; Series 10: Printed Matter, 1915-1953; and Series 11: Card File (Oversize), 1929-1940.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container or reel number, Margaret Sanger Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Microfilm edition of series 1-7 & 9-10 available, no. 16,700.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1976.
- - Gift, Margaret Sanger, 1942-1956.
- - Some photographs transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Sound recordings transferred to Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
- - Nurse, leader of the birth control movement, and author. Born Margaret Higgins.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms998010
- 130,000 items.
- 257 containers.
- 145 microfilm reels.
- 106 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- (Herbert George)
- 20th Century
- American Birth Control League
- Birth Control
- Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau (New York, N.Y.)
- Birth Control Federation of America
- De Sélincourt, Hugh
- Delafield, Ruth Manierre
- Delisle, Françoise Roussel
- Ellis, Havelock
- Fawcett, James Waldo
- Figdor, Richard
- Gamble, Clarence James
- Goldman, Emma
- Government Policy
- Huxley, Julian
- Katō, Shizue
- Kennedy, Anne
- Law and Legislation
- Luhan, Mabel Dodge
- Margaret Sanger Research Bureau
- Marion, Kitty
- McCormick, Katharine Dexter
- National Committee on Federal Legislation for Birth Control
- Pinchot, Ruth P.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Politics and Government
- Rose, Florence
- Rutgers, J.
- Sexual Health
- Social Conditions
- Social Problems
- Societies, Etc
- Stone, Abraham
- Stopes, Marie Carmichael
- Tagore, Rabindranath
- United States
- Watumull Foundation
- Wells, H. G.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sanger, Margaret. Margaret Sanger papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm76038919.
APA citation style:
Sanger, M. Margaret Sanger papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm76038919.
MLA citation style:
Sanger, Margaret. Margaret Sanger papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm76038919>.
More Collections like this
CollectionMargaret Sanger papers, 1900-1966 Nurse, leader of the birth control movement, and author. Correspondence, diaries (1914-1953), articles, speeches, lectures, clippings, scrapbooks, printed matter, photographs, memorabilia, and organizational records relating to Sanger's extensive activities on behalf of...
- Contributor: Sanger, Margaret
- Date: 1900
CollectionGregory Pincus papers, Correspondence; diaries; speech, article, and book file; research files; and other papers relating to Pincus's life and career, especially his role in developing and testing the contraceptive pill. Includes material relating to...
- Contributor: Pincus, Gregory
CollectionGregory Pincus papers, 1920-2006 Biologist. Correspondence, diaries, speech, article, and book file, research files, and miscellaneous material relating to Pincus's life and career, especially his role in developing and testing the contraceptive pill.
- Contributor: Pincus, Gregory
- Date: 1920
CollectionJohn Haynes Holmes papers, Correspondence, writings, printed matter, and other papers relating to Holmes's public career and to the libertarian movements of the 20th century. Documents his involvement with civil liberties, civil rights, pacifism, and social...
- Contributor: Holmes, John Haynes
CollectionJohn Haynes Holmes papers, 1899-1983 Unitarian clergyman and author. Correspondence, writings, printed matter, and other papers reflecting Holmes's public career and social reform movements that he supported.
- Contributor: Holmes, John Haynes
- Date: 1899