About this Item
- Frederick Law Olmsted papers,
- Correspondence, letterbooks, journals, drafts of articles and books, speeches and lectures, biographical and genealogical data, business papers, legal and financial papers, scrapbooks, printed material, maps, drawings, and other papers encompassing Olmsted's career and private life.
- The papers focus on Olmsted's career as a landscape architect, specifically as a designer of parks and the grounds of private estates and public buildings and as a city and regional planner. Includes material pertaining to his designs chiefly of Central Park in New York, N.Y., of the area surrounding Niagara Falls, N.Y., of the U.S. Capitol grounds, Washington, D.C., and of the grounds of the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, Ill., 1893. Material pertains, in part, to work undertaken by Olmsted and the firms of Olmsted and Vaux (1858), Frederick Law Olmsted (1858-1884), F.L. and J.C. Olmsted (1884-1889), F.L. Olmsted and Company (1889-1893), Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot (1893-1897), F.L. and J.C. Olmsted (1897-1898), and Olmsted Brothers (1898-1961). Also documents Olmsted's writings, his investigation of slavery in the South (1850s), his role as general secretary of the U.S. Sanitary Commission during the Civil War, and his work as superintendent of John C. Frémont's gold mining estates in Mariposa, Calif.
- Olmsted family papers include a journal and other papers of Gideon Olmsted documenting his adventures as a privateer during the Revolutionary war; journals kept by Frederick Law Olmsted's father, John, recording activities of the Olmsted family as well as local and national events; and correspondence of John Olmsted (father), John Hull Olmsted (brother), Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. (son), and John Charles Olmsted (nephew).
- Correspondents include Henry W. Bellows, Samuel Bowles, Charles Loring Brace, Daniel Hudson Burnham, H.W.S. Cleveland, George William Curtis, Charles A. Dana, Edwin Lawrence Godkin, A.H. Green, Edward Everett Hale, William James, Clarence King, Frederick John Kingsbury, Frederick Newman Knapp, Charles Follen McKim, Charles Eliot Norton, Whitelaw Reid, H.H. Richardson, Charles N. Riotte, Carl Schurz, George Templeton Strong, George Washington Vanderbilt, Calvert Vaux, Henry Villard, George E. Waring, Jr., and Katherine Prescott Wormeley.
- Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903.
- Olmsted, Gideon, 1749-1845.
- Olmsted, John, 1791-1873.
- - Bellows, Henry W.--(Henry Whitney),--1814-1882--Correspondence
- - Bowles, Samuel,--1826-1878--Correspondence
- - Brace, Charles Loring,--1826-1890--Correspondence
- - Burnham, Daniel Hudson,--1846-1912--Correspondence
- - Cleveland, H. W. S.--(Horace William Shaler),--1814-1900--Correspondence
- - Curtis, George William,--1824-1892--Correspondence
- - Dana, Charles A.--(Charles Anderson),--1819-1897--Correspondence
- - Frémont, John Charles,--1813-1890
- - Godkin, Edwin Lawrence,--1831-1902--Correspondence
- - Green, A. H.--(Andrew Haswell)--1820-1903--Correspondence
- - Hale, Edward Everett,--1822-1909--Correspondence
- - James, William,--1842-1910--Correspondence
- - King, Clarence,--1842-1901--Correspondence
- - Kingsbury, Frederick John,--1823-1910--Correspondence
- - Knapp, Frederick Newman,--1821-1889--Correspondence
- - McKim, Charles Follen,--1847-1909--Correspondence
- - Norton, Charles Eliot,--1827-1908--Correspondence
- - Olmsted family
- - Olmsted, Frederick Law,--1870-1957--Correspondence
- - Olmsted, John Charles,--1852-1920--Correspondence
- - Olmsted, John Hull,--1825-1857--Correspondence
- - Reid, Whitelaw,--1837-1912--Correspondence
- - Richardson, H. H.--(Henry Hobson),--1838-1886--Correspondence
- - Riotte, Carl Nicolaus,--1814-1887--Correspondence
- - Schurz, Carl,--1829-1906--Correspondence
- - Strong, George Templeton,--1820-1875--Correspondence
- - Vanderbilt, George Washington,--1862-1914--Correspondence
- - Vaux, Calvert,--1824-1895--Correspondence
- - Villard, Henry,--1835-1900--Correspondence
- - Waring, George E.--(George Edwin),--1833-1898--Correspondence
- - Wormeley, Katherine Prescott--Correspondence
- - Olmsted and Vaux (Firm)
- - Frederick Law Olmsted (Firm)
- - F.L. and J.C. Olmsted (Firm : 1884-1889)
- - F.L. Olmsted and Company
- - Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot
- - F.L. and J.C. Olmsted (Firm : 1897-1898)
- - Olmsted Brothers
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - United States Sanitary Commission
- - World's Columbian Exposition--(1893 :--Chicago, Ill.)
- - City planning
- - Exhibitions--Illinois--Chicago
- - Landscape architecture
- - Landscape architecture--New York (State)--New York
- - Landscape architecture--Niagara Falls (N.Y. and Ont.)
- - Landscape architecture--Washington (D.C.)
- - Gold mines and mining--California--Mariposa
- - Parks--Design and construction
- - Privateering--History--18th century
- - Regional planning
- - Slavery--Southern States
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - Central Park (New York, N.Y.)--History
- - Mariposa (Calif.)--History
- - Niagara Falls (N.Y. and Ont.)--History
- - United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Naval operations
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Health aspects
- - Arranged in eight series. Series 1: Journals, 1777-1888; Series 2: Correspondence, 1838-1928; Series 3: Subject File, 1857-1952; Series 4: Speeches and Writings File, 1839-1903; Series 5: Miscellany, 1837-1952; Series 6: 1975 Addition, 1821-1924; Series 7: 1996 Addition, 1880-1881; and Series 8: Oversize, 1886.
- - Frederick Law Olmsted Papers at the Library of Congress available through the Library of Congress Web site at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/collmss.ms000067
- - Microfilm edition of material received through 1975 available, nos. 16,498 & 16,922.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1975 (no. 16,498) and 1977 (no. 16,922).
- - Gift, Olmsted family, 1947-1948, 1968-1969.
- - Gift, Laura Wood Roper, 1975.
- - Purchase, 1981.
- - Landscape architect.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001019
- 24,000 items.
- 73 containers plus 1 oversize.
- 60 microfilm reels.
- 23 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Open to research.
- Restrictions may apply to unprocessed material.
Additional Metadata Formats
- Central Park
- New York
- Niagara Falls
- Southern States
- United States
- Washington D.C.
- (Andrew Haswell)
- (Charles Anderson)
- (George Edwin)
- (Henry Hobson)
- (Henry Whitney)
- (Horace William Shaler)
- 18th Century
- Bellows, Henry W.
- Bowles, Samuel
- Brace, Charles Loring
- Burnham, Daniel Hudson
- Central Park (New York, N.Y.)
- Chicago, Ill.)
- City Planning
- Civil War
- Cleveland, H. W. S.
- Curtis, George William
- Dana, Charles A.
- Design and Construction
- F.L. And J.C. Olmsted (Firm)
- F.L. Olmsted and Company
- Frederick Law Olmsted (Firm)
- Frémont, John Charles
- Godkin, Edwin Lawrence
- Gold Discoveries
- Gold Mines and Mining
- Green, A. H.
- Hale, Edward Everett
- Health Aspects
- James, William
- King, Clarence
- Kingsbury, Frederick John
- Knapp, Frederick Newman
- Landscape Architecture
- Mariposa (Calif.)
- McKim, Charles Follen
- Naval Operations
- New York
- New York (State)
- Niagara Falls (N.Y. And Ont.)
- Norton, Charles Eliot
- Olmsted and Vaux (Firm)
- Olmsted Brothers
- Olmsted Family
- Olmsted, Frederick Law
- Olmsted, John Charles
- Olmsted, John Hull
- Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot
- Regional Planning
- Reid, Whitelaw
- Richardson, H. H.
- Riotte, Carl Nicolaus
- Schurz, Carl
- Southern States
- Strong, George Templeton
- United States
- United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Vanderbilt, George Washington
- Vaux, Calvert
- Villard, Henry
- Waring, George E.
- Washington (D.C.)
- World's Columbian Exposition
- Wormeley, Katherine Prescott
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Olmsted, Frederick Law, Gideon Olmsted, and John Olmsted. Frederick Law Olmsted papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm77035121.
APA citation style:
Olmsted, F. L., Olmsted, G. & Olmsted, J. Frederick Law Olmsted papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm77035121.
MLA citation style:
Olmsted, Frederick Law, Gideon Olmsted, and John Olmsted. Frederick Law Olmsted papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm77035121>.