Manuscript/Mixed Material Sarah Ridg Schuyler diary : Sarah Ridg Schuyler papers / Sarah Ridg diary : typescript transcription
About this Item
- Sarah Ridg Schuyler diary :
- Sarah Ridg Schuyler papers
- Sarah Ridg diary : typescript transcription
- Annotated typescript transcription of a diary (1809 January 3-November 2) kept by Sarah Ridg, later Sarah Ridg Schuyler, as a young woman on an extended visit to Alexandria, Va., and Washington, D.C. She documents the social life of the two cities and describes the U.S. Capitol building (February 10th entry, page 3); preparations for attending the inaugural ball (February 28th through March 3rd entries, page 7); and the inaugural ceremonies at the U.S. Capitol and festivities at President James Madison's home later the same day (March 4th entry, pages 8-9).
- Schuyler, Sarah Ridg.
- - Madison, James,--1751-1836--Homes and haunts
- - Madison, James,--1751-1836--Inaugurations
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - Balls (Parties)--Washington (D.C.)
- - Capitols--Washington (D.C.)
- - Presidents--United States--Inauguration
- - Public buildings--Washington (D.C.)
- - Alexandria (Va.)--Social life and customs
- - Virginia--Social life and customs
- - Washington (D.C.)--Capital and capitol
- - Washington (D.C.)--Social life and customs
- - Scanned images produced from typescript transcription of the diary in the Manuscript Division for the former American Memory presentation "I Do Solemnly Swear" : Presidential Inaugurations (retired in 2016). Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1999-2000.
- - Typescript transcription. [Place of transcription unidentified].
- - Gift, Mrs. Montgomery Schuyler, 1957.
- - Born Sarah Ridg, later married Anthony Day Schuyler of Burlington, N.J., and New York City.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Forms part of: Miscellaneous Manuscripts collection.
- 1 item.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Open to research.
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Schuyler, Sarah Ridg. Sarah Ridg Schuyler diary. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mm79001273/.
APA citation style:
Schuyler, S. R. Sarah Ridg Schuyler diary. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mm79001273/.
MLA citation style:
Schuyler, Sarah Ridg. Sarah Ridg Schuyler diary. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mm79001273/>.