About this Item
- Adelaide Johnson papers,
- Correspondence, diaries, speeches, articles, notes, and other papers concerning Johnson's life and activities as sculptor and feminist. Documents her work on the monument to Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, now located in the crypt of the U.S. Capitol. Also includes records kept of sittings by Anthony, John Burroughs, Ella Wheeler Wilcox and others of whom she created portrait busts. Includes correspondence between Johnson and her husband, Alexander Frederick (Jenkins) Johnson, and other members of the Jenkins and Johnson families. Other correspondents include Susan B. Anthony, Lily Biedler, Arthur Brisbane, T. Campbell-Copeland, Edith M. Ferris, Helen H. Gardener, Agnes Hall, Gena R. Harding, Ida Husted Harper, Elizabeth Hale Falkner Murphy, Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Cora L.V. Richmond, May Robson, Henry Rogers, May Wright Sewall, Helen L. Sumner, Emma Cecilia Thursby, Sara Carr Upton, and Henry G. Whitney.
- Johnson, Adelaide, 1859-1955.
- - Anthony, Susan B.--(Susan Brownell),--1820-1906--Statues
- - Anthony, Susan B.--(Susan Brownell),--1820-1906--Correspondence
- - Biedler, Lily--Correspondence
- - Brisbane, Arthur,--1864-1936--Correspondence
- - Burroughs, John,--1837-1921--Statues
- - Campbell-Copeland, T.--(Thomas)--Correspondence
- - Ferris, Edith M.--Correspondence--Correspondence
- - Gardener, Helen H.--(Helen Hamilton),--1853-1925--Correspondence
- - Hall, Agnes--Correspondence
- - Harding, Gena R.--Correspondence
- - Harper, Ida Husted,--1851-1931--Correspondence
- - Johnson, Alexander Frederick--Correspondence
- - Mott, Lucretia,--1793-1880--Statues
- - Murphy, Elizabeth Hale Falkner--Correspondence
- - Pankhurst, Emmeline,--1858-1928--Correspondence
- - Paul, Alice,--1885-1977--Correspondence
- - Richmond, Cora L. V.--(Cora Linn Victoria),--1840-1923--Correspondence
- - Robson, May,--1865-1942--Correspondence
- - Rogers, Henry--Correspondence
- - Sewall, May Wright,--1844-1920--Correspondence
- - Stanton, Elizabeth Cady,--1815-1902--Statues
- - Sumner, Helen L.--(Helen Laura),--1876-1933--Correspondence
- - Thursby, Emma Cecilia,--1845-1931--Correspondence
- - Upton, Sara Carr,--1843---Correspondence
- - Whitney, Henry G.--Correspondence
- - Wilcox, Ella Wheeler,--1850-1919--Statues
- - Jenkins family
- - Jenkins family--Correspondence
- - Johnson family
- - Johnson family--Correspondence
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - Busts
- - Feminism
- - Monuments--Washington (D.C.)
- - Portrait sculpture
- - Sculpture
- - Arranged in five series. Series 1: Diaries, 1875-1947; Series 2: General Correspondence, 1877-1947; Series 3: Speeches and Articles File; Series 4: Miscellany; and Series 5: Addition, 1873-1944.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Adelaide Johnson Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Gift, Romola Johnson Cristal, 1962-1984.
- - Gift, David Henderson and Margaret Henderson, 1981.
- - Photographs, watercolor, pencil drawings, and printed matter transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Sculptor and suffragist. Born as Sarah Adeline Johnson.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms012121
- 40,000 items.
- 130 containers.
- 55.6 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Open to research.
Additional Metadata Formats
- (Cora Linn Victoria)
- (Helen Hamilton)
- (Helen Laura)
- (Susan Brownell)
- Anthony, Susan B.
- Biedler, Lily
- Brisbane, Arthur
- Burroughs, John
- Campbell-Copeland, T.
- Ferris, Edith M.
- Gardener, Helen H.
- Hall, Agnes
- Harding, Gena R.
- Harper, Ida Husted
- Jenkins Family
- Johnson Family
- Johnson, Alexander Frederick
- Mott, Lucretia
- Murphy, Elizabeth Hale Falkner
- Pankhurst, Emmeline
- Paul, Alice
- Portrait Sculpture
- Richmond, Cora L. V.
- Robson, May
- Rogers, Henry
- Sewall, May Wright
- Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
- Sumner, Helen L.
- Thursby, Emma Cecilia
- United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- Upton, Sara Carr
- Washington (D.C.)
- Whitney, Henry G.
- Wilcox, Ella Wheeler
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Johnson, Adelaide. Adelaide Johnson papers.
APA citation style:
Johnson, A. Adelaide Johnson papers.
MLA citation style:
Johnson, Adelaide. Adelaide Johnson papers.