About this Item
- Evalyn Walsh McLean papers,
- Correspondence, memoranda, business and legal records, notes, printed matter, scrapbooks, broadsides, photographs, and other papers pertaining primarily to McLean's leading role in the social life of Washington, D.C. Business records relate chiefly to the Colorado mining interests of her father, Thomas F. Walsh, and the Walsh family as well as to the publishing interests of her husband, Edward Beale McLean, and the McLean family, especially the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Washington Post. Subjects include Evalyn Walsh McLean's involvement in the Lindbergh kidnapping case, her ownership of the Hope diamond, and the Teapot Dome Scandal, 1921-1924. Includes drafts of her column in the Washington Times Herald; the manuscript of her book, Father Struck It Rich (1936); a revision, with additions, of Warren Gamaliel Harding: President of the United States (1922) attributed to William Estabrook Chancellor; and a diary of Merrill C. Meigs.
- Correspondents include Alben William Barkley, Bernard M. Baruch, William Jennings Bryan, William C. Bullitt, Calvin Coolidge, H.M. Daugherty, Florence Kling Harding, Warren G. Harding, William Randolph Hearst, Herbert Hoover, J. Edgar Hoover, Cordell Hull, Elsa Maxwell, William H. Taft, Harry S. Truman, Woodrow Wilson, and Darryl Francis Zanuck.
- Contributor Names
- McLean, Evalyn Walsh, 1886-1947.
- Chancellor, William Estabrook, 1867-1963.
- Meigs, Merrill C. (Merrill Church), 1883-1968.
- Subject Headings
- - Barkley, Alben William,--1877-1956--Correspondence
- - Baruch, Bernard M.--(Bernard Mannes),--1870-1965--Correspondence
- - Bryan, William Jennings,--1860-1925--Correspondence
- - Bullitt, William C.--(William Christian),--1891-1967--Correspondence
- - Coolidge, Calvin,--1872-1933--Correspondence
- - Daugherty, H. M.--(Harry Micajah),--1860-1941--Correspondence
- - Harding, Florence Kling,--1860-1924--Correspondence
- - Harding, Warren G.--(Warren Gamaliel),--1865-1923--Correspondence
- - Hearst, William Randolph,--1863-1951--Correspondence
- - Hoover, Herbert,--1874-1964--Correspondence
- - Hoover, J. Edgar--(John Edgar),--1895-1972--Correspondence
- - Hull, Cordell,--1871-1955--Correspondence
- - Lindbergh, Charles Augustus,--1930-1932--Kidnapping
- - Maxwell, Elsa--Correspondence
- - McLean, Edward Beale,---1941
- - Taft, William H.--(William Howard),--1857-1930--Correspondence
- - Truman, Harry S.,--1884-1972--Correspondence
- - Walsh, Thomas F.--(Thomas Francis),--1850-1910
- - Wilson, Woodrow,--1856-1924--Correspondence
- - Zanuck, Darryl Francis,--1902-1979--Correspondence
- - McLean family
- - Walsh family
- - Cincinnati enquirer
- - Washington post
- - Washington times herald
- - American newspapers--Ohio--Cincinnati
- - American newspapers--Washington (D.C.)
- - Diamonds
- - Hope diamond
- - Kidnapping--United States
- - Mines and mineral resources--Colorado
- - Political corruption--United States
- - Teapot Dome Scandal, 1921-1924
- - Washington (D.C.)--Social life and customs
- - Arranged in eight series. Series 1: Family Correspondence, 1887-1947; Series 2: Special Correspondence; Series 3: General Correspondence, 1874-1948; Series 4: Business Correspondence, 1887-1947; Series 5: Subject File; Series 6: Financial-Legal Papers, 1894-1947; Series 7: Miscellany; and Series 8: Oversize.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Evalyn Walsh McLean Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Gift, estate of Evalyn Walsh McLean, 1949.
- - Socialite of Washington, D.C.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms013137
- 45,000 items.
- 113 containers plus 3 oversize.
- 46.4 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- (Bernard Mannes)
- (Harry Micajah)
- (John Edgar)
- (Thomas Francis)
- (Warren Gamaliel)
- (William Christian)
- (William Howard)
- American Newspapers
- Barkley, Alben William
- Baruch, Bernard M.
- Bryan, William Jennings
- Bullitt, William C.
- Cincinnati Enquirer
- Coolidge, Calvin
- Daugherty, H. M.
- Harding, Florence Kling
- Harding, Warren G.
- Hearst, William Randolph
- Hoover, Herbert
- Hoover, J. Edgar
- Hope Diamond
- Hull, Cordell
- Lindbergh, Charles Augustus
- Maxwell, Elsa
- McLean Family
- McLean, Edward Beale
- Mines and Mineral Resources
- Political Corruption
- Social Life and Customs
- Taft, William H.
- Teapot Dome Scandal
- Truman, Harry S.
- United States
- Walsh Family
- Walsh, Thomas F.
- Washington (D.C.)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times Herald
- Wilson, Woodrow
- Zanuck, Darryl Francis
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mclean, Evalyn Walsh, William Estabrook Chancellor, and Merrill C Meigs. Evalyn Walsh McLean papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm79032318.
APA citation style:
McLean, E. W., Chancellor, W. E. & Meigs, M. C. Evalyn Walsh McLean papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm79032318.
MLA citation style:
Mclean, Evalyn Walsh, William Estabrook Chancellor, and Merrill C Meigs. Evalyn Walsh McLean papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm79032318>.
More Collections like this
CollectionEvalyn Walsh McLean papers, 1874-1948 Socialite, of Washington, D.C.; daughter of Thomas F. Walsh; married Edward Beale McLean in 1907; later divorced. Correspondence, memoranda, business and legal records, notes, printed matter, scrapbooks, broadsides, photographs, and other papers...
- Contributor: Chancellor, William Estabrook - McLean, Evalyn Walsh - Meigs, Merrill C. (Merrill Church)
- Date: 1874
CollectionClifford Kennedy Berryman papers, Correspondence, speech, invitations, printed matter, drawings, and photographs relating primarily to Berryman's career as a political cartoonist for the Washington Post and Washington Star. Includes two autograph albums (1898-1949) containing pen portraits...
- Contributor: Berryman, Clifford Kennedy
CollectionMark Sullivan papers, Correspondence, writings, and other papers relating to Sullivan's career as a journalist and author. Subjects include the Conference on the Limitation of Armament held in Washington, D.C., 1921-1922; social and political affairs;...
- Contributor: Sullivan, Mark
CollectionMark Sullivan papers, 1900-1935 Journalist and author. Correspondence, writings, and other material relating to Sullivan's career as a journalist and author.
- Contributor: Sullivan, Mark
- Date: 1900
CollectionWarren G. Harding papers, Correspondence, speeches, appointment books, genealogical material, and other papers from Harding's early years as editor of the Marion Daily Star and his service as Ohio state legislator, U.S. senator from Ohio, and...
- Contributor: Harding Memorial Association - Sawyer, Charles E. (Charles Elmer) - Daugherty, H. M. (Harry Micajah) - Hard, Charles E. - Scobey, F. E. (Frank Edgar) - Rochester, E. S. (Edward Sudler) - Harding, Florence Kling - Lawler, Kathleen F. (Kathleen Frances) - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Clemens, Cyril - Harris, Ray Baker - Donithen, Hoke - Sawyer, Carl W. (Carl Walker) - Jennings, Malcolm - Christian, George , (George Busby)