Collection Manuscript/Mixed Material Arthur B. Spingarn papers,
About this Item
- Arthur B. Spingarn papers,
- Correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, wills and estate files, reports, briefs, hearing and trial transcripts, and other papers relating chiefly to Spingarn's service with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) as vice president, chairman of the legal committee, and president (1911-1965).
- The collection pertains primarily to civil rights issues; financial, legal, and other administrative matters of the NAACP; relations between NAACP directors and officers including W. E. B. Du Bois, James Weldon Johnson, Mary White Ovington, William Pickens, Walter Francis White, and Roy Wilkins; the origin of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund; the official organ of the NAACP, The Crisis; the New York Vigilance Committee (later the New York branch of the NAACP); and Spingarn's work with the American Social Hygiene Association, Circle for Negro Relief, New York State Commission Against Discrimination, and New York Tuberculosis and Health Association. Topics include the East St. Louis riot of 1917; the assault on NAACP officer, John R. Shillady, in 1919; American occupation of Haiti in the 1920s; African American troops in World War II; and writings by native Africans.
- Correspondents include Van Wyck Brooks, James A. Cobb, W. E. B. Du Bois, Ernest Gruening, Alfred Baker Lewis, Isadore Maximilian Martin, Lewis Mumford, Herbert J. Seligmann, Charles H. Studin, Neval Thomas, Carl Van Vechten, Walter Francis White, and Roy Wilkins.
- Spingarn, Arthur B. (Arthur Barnett), 1878-1971.
- - Brooks, Van Wyck,--1886-1963--Correspondence
- - Cobb, James A.--(James Adlai),--1876-1958--Correspondence
- - Du Bois, W. E. B.--(William Edward Burghardt),--1868-1963--Correspondence
- - Gruening, Ernest,--1887-1974--Correspondence
- - Johnson, James Weldon,--1871-1938--Correspondence
- - Lewis, Alfred Baker,--1897--Correspondence
- - Martin, Isadore Maximilian,--1909---Correspondence
- - Mumford, Lewis,--1895-1990--Correspondence
- - Ovington, Mary White,--1865-1951--Correspondence
- - Pickens, William,--1881-1954--Correspondence
- - Seligmann, Herbert J.--(Herbert Jacob),--1891-1984--Correspondence
- - Shillady, John R.,--1875-1943--Correspondence
- - Studin, Charles H.--Correspondence
- - Thomas, Neval--Correspondence
- - Van Vechten, Carl,--1880-1964--Correspondence
- - White, Walter,--1893-1955--Correspondence
- - Wilkins, Roy,--1901-1981--Correspondence
- - New York (State).--State Commission Against Discrimination
- - American Social Hygiene Association
- - Circle for Negro Relief
- - NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- - National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- - New York Committee of Vigilance
- - New York Tuberculosis and Health Association
- - Crisis
- - African literature
- - African Americans--Civil rights
- - African Americans--Societies, etc
- - Civil rights
- - Riots--Illinois--East Saint Louis
- - World War, 1939-1945--Participation, African American
- - Haiti--History--American occupation, 1915-1934
- - United States--Race relations
- - Arranged in seven series. Series 1: Family Correspondence, 1912-1964; Series 2: Personal Correspondence, 1903-1967; Series 3: NAACP Files, 1912-1967; Series 4: Miscellany, 1850-1970; Series 5: Printed Matter, 1911-1967; Series 6: Addition, 1915-1968; and Series 7: Oversize, 1915-1964.
- - Microfilm edition of materials received prior to 1988 available, no. 20,666.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1996.
- - Gift, Arthur B. Spingarn, 1964-1968.
- - Other gifts and purchases, 1972-1987.
- - Some photographs transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Civil rights leader and lawyer.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms997006
- 35,000 items.
- 66 containers plus 2 oversize.
- 58 microfilm reels.
- 30 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Open to research.
Additional Metadata Formats
- (Herbert Jacob)
- (James Adlai)
- (William Edward Burghardt)
- African Americans
- African Literature
- American Occupation
- American Social Hygiene Association
- Brooks, Van Wyck
- Circle for Negro Relief
- Civil Rights
- Cobb, James A.
- Du Bois, W. E. B.
- East Saint Louis
- Gruening, Ernest
- Johnson, James Weldon
- Lewis, Alfred Baker
- Martin, Isadore Maximilian
- Mumford, Lewis
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- New York (State)
- New York Committee of Vigilance
- New York Tuberculosis and Health Association
- Ovington, Mary White
- Participation, African American
- Pickens, William
- Race Relations
- Seligmann, Herbert J.
- Shillady, John R.
- Societies, Etc
- State Commission Against Discrimination
- Studin, Charles H.
- Thomas, Neval
- United States
- Van Vechten, Carl
- White, Walter
- Wilkins, Roy
- World War
Rights & Access
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Spingarn, Arthur B. Arthur B. Spingarn papers.
APA citation style:
Spingarn, A. B. Arthur B. Spingarn papers.
MLA citation style:
Spingarn, Arthur B. Arthur B. Spingarn papers.