About this Item
- Harvey Washington Wiley papers,
- Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, speeches, lectures, writings, legal records, clippings, printed matter, maps, blueprints, graphs, tables, photographs, and other papers relating to Wiley's life and career as a chemist. Documents his years as student and educator; chief of the U.S. Bureau of Chemistry (1883-1912) lecturer on the Chautauqua circuit; and head of the Good Housekeeping Institute (New York, N.Y.) Bureau of Food, Sanitation, and Health. Includes material pertaining to his work which culminated in passage of the U.S. Food and Drugs Act (1906).
- Contributor Names
- Wiley, Harvey Washington, 1844-1930.
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Bureau of Chemistry
- - United States.--Food and Drugs Act
- - Good Housekeeping Institute (New York, N.Y.).--Bureau of Food, Sanitation, and Health
- - Chautauquas--United States
- - Drugs--Law and legislation--United States
- - Food adulteration and inspection--United States
- - Food law and legislation--United States
- - Arranged in twelve series. Series 1: Letterpress Volumes, circa 1879-1910; Series 2: General Correspondence and Other Papers, circa 1854-1930; Series 3: Farm and Dairy Correspondence and Other Papers, circa 1914-1929; Series 4: Good Housekeeping Correspondence and Other Papers, circa 1917-1930; Series 5: Engagements Correspondence and Other Papers, circa 1912-1929; Series 6: Articles, Addresses, and Writings, circa 1864-1939; Series 7: Subject File, circa 1897-1930; Series 8: Biographical Material, 1863-1924; Series 9: Miscellany, 1869-1938; Series 10: Printed Matter, 1870-1930; Series 11: Addition, 1865-1954; and Series 12: Oversize.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Harvey Washington Wiley Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Gift, Anna Kelton Wiley, 1952-1956.
- - Some maps transferred to Library of Congress Geography and Map Division.
- - Some photographs transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Chemist, educator, lecturer, and author.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms012062
- 70,000 items.
- 245 containers plus 2 oversize.
- 99.4 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wiley, Harvey Washington. Harvey Washington Wiley papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm79045690.
APA citation style:
Wiley, H. W. Harvey Washington Wiley papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm79045690.
MLA citation style:
Wiley, Harvey Washington. Harvey Washington Wiley papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm79045690>.
More Collections like this
CollectionJames R. Mann papers, Correspondence, newspaper clippings, printed matter, memorabilia, and other papers relating to Mann's career in Chicago politics and as U.S. representative from Illinois. Subjects include Chicago River improvement, the Food and Drugs Act...
- Contributor: Mann, James R. (James Robert)
CollectionAnna Kelton Wiley papers, Correspondence, speeches, reports, articles, notes, appointment books, family papers, financial records, clippings, printed matter, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to Wiley's activities on behalf of women's rights as well as...
- Contributor: Wiley, Anna Kelton - Campbell, William S. (William Shaw) - Wiley, Harvey Washington - Kelton, J. C. (John Cunningham)
CollectionA.B. MacDonald papers,
Alexander Black MacDonald papers Correspondence, diaries, legal reports, family papers, scrapbooks, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to MacDonald's career as a journalist at the Kansas City Star and other publications. Includes materials documenting...
- Contributor: Macdonald, A. (Alexander Black) - Macdonald, Malcolm
CollectionFrances Oldham Kelsey papers, Correspondence, memoranda, speeches, testimonies, proceedings, writings, reports and studies, laboratory notebooks and notes, patient files and records, research files, academic material, subject file, biographical material, family and estate papers, press releases and...
- Contributor: Kelsey, F. E. (Fremont Ellis) - Geiling, E. M. K. (Eugene Maximilian Karl) - Kelsey, Frances Oldham
CollectionMichael Pertschuk papers, Correspondence, memoranda, speeches, statements, writings, research material, subject files, biographical material, and other papers primarily concerning Pertschuk's work in the area of consumer protection. Part I relates chiefly to his career in...
- Contributor: Pertschuk, Michael