About this Item
- Dolley Madison papers,
- Correspondence, financial papers, invitations, calling cards, and other papers relating primarily to personal and family matters including settlement of the Dolley Madison, James Madison, and William Madison estates. Includes inventories of household furnishings at Montpelier and Washington, accounts with the grocer, and lists of visitors and visits returned by Dolley Madison. Family correspondents include Anna Payne Causten, R. D. Cutts, John Payne Todd, Rebecca Todd, and Samuel Poultney Todd. Other correspondents include Henry Clay, James Laurie, Elizabeth Collins Lee, John Y. Mason, Henry W. Moncure, Anthony Morris, Phoebe Morris, and Richard Smith.
- Contributor Names
- Madison, Dolley, 1768-1849.
- Subject Headings
- - Causten, Anna Payne,--1819-1852--Correspondence
- - Clay, Henry,--1777-1852--Correspondence
- - Cutts, R. D.--(Richard Dominicus),--1817-1883--Correspondence
- - Laurie, James--Correspondence
- - Lee, Elizabeth Collins,---1858--Correspondence
- - Madison, Dolley,--1768-1849--Estate
- - Madison, James,--1751-1836--Estate
- - Madison, William,--1762-1843--Estate
- - Mason, John Y.--(John Young),--1799-1859--Correspondence
- - Moncure, Henry W.--(Henry Wood),--1800-1866--Correspondence
- - Morris, Anthony,--1766-1860--Correspondence
- - Morris, Phoebe--Correspondence
- - Smith, Richard--Correspondence
- - Todd, John Payne,--1792-1858--Correspondence
- - Todd, Rebecca--Correspondence
- - Todd, Samuel Poultney--Correspondence
- - Montpelier (Va. : Estate)
- - Virginia--Social life and customs
- - Washington (D.C.)--Social life and customs
- - Arranged alphabetically by type of material.
- - Microfilm edition available in part, no. 18,940.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1984.
- - Transfer, Smithsonian Institution, 1866.
- - Transfers, gifts, and purchases, 1909-2004.
- - Wife of President James Madison and prominent Washington, D.C., hostess.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms007075
- 1,700 items.
- 5 containers.
- 4 microfilm reels.
- 2 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- (Henry Wood)
- (John Young)
- (Richard Dominicus)
- Causten, Anna Payne
- Clay, Henry
- Cutts, R. D.
- Laurie, James
- Lee, Elizabeth Collins
- Madison, Dolley
- Madison, James
- Madison, William
- Mason, John Y.
- Moncure, Henry W.
- Montpelier (Va. : Estate)
- Morris, Anthony
- Morris, Phoebe
- Smith, Richard
- Social Life and Customs
- Todd, John Payne
- Todd, Rebecca
- Todd, Samuel Poultney
- Washington (D.C.)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Madison, Dolley. Dolley Madison papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm80031005.
APA citation style:
Madison, D. Dolley Madison papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm80031005.
MLA citation style:
Madison, Dolley. Dolley Madison papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm80031005>.
More Collections like this
CollectionLouis McLane correspondence,
Louis McLane papers Correspondence primarily between McLane and members of his family relating to McLane's diplomatic duties, national and congressional politics, and social life in Washington, D.C. Subjects include the administrations of James Monroe, John...
- Contributor: McLane, Louis
CollectionMargaret Bayard Smith Papers The papers of Margaret Bayard Smith (1778-1844), author and leader in Washington, D.C., social and political circles during the first decades of the nineteenth century, span the years 1789-1874, with the bulk...
- Contributor: Smith, Margaret Bayard
Collection Items: View 96 Items
CollectionNancy Dickerson papers, Correspondence, diaries, speech files, writings, television scripts, family papers, financial records, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to Dickerson's work as a pioneering woman in television journalism and to her leading...
- Contributor: Dickerson, Nancy (Nancy Hanschman)
CollectionWilliam Medill papers, Correspondence, account books, and other papers documenting Medill's service as first assistant postmaster general (1845), commissioner of Indian affairs (1845-1850), and first comptroller of the U.S. treasury (1857-1861). Subjects include local Ohio...
- Contributor: Medill, William
CollectionDavid Conner papers, Correspondence, reports, invoices, ships returns, extracts from ships logs, and other official naval records primarily pertaining to Conner's service as commander of U.S. naval forces in the Caribbean and the Gulf of...
- Contributor: Conner, David