About this Item
- John McAuley Palmer papers, 1863-1977
- Correspondence, writings including drafts of Palmer's unpublished memoirs, notes, research material, subject files, biographical material, printed matter, and other papers relating to Palmer's career in the U.S. Army. Documents his service as assistant chief of staff and aide-de-camp to John J. Pershing and as advocate of contemporary military reform based on universal military training (draft) and the citizen soldier. Also documents his work as an author in the field of military history. Includes correspondence and material assembled by Palmer's biographer, I.B. Holley, for his book General John M. Palmer, Citizen Soldiers, and the Army of a Democracy (1982). Family correspondents include Holley's wife, Maude Laning Palmer; his daughter, Mary Palmer Rockwell, and her husband, George H. Rockwell; and Palmer's grandson, John Palmer Chandler. Other correspondents include George C. Marshall and John J. Pershing.
- Contributor Names
- Palmer, John McAuley, 1870-1955.
- Subject Headings
- - Chandler, John Palmer--Correspondence
- - Marshall, George C.--(George Catlett),--1880-1959--Correspondence
- - Palmer, Maude Laning--Correspondence
- - Pershing, John J.--(John Joseph),--1860-1948--Correspondence
- - Rockwell, George H.--Correspondence
- - Rockwell, Mary Palmer--Correspondence
- - United States.--Army--Officers
- - Draft
- - Military history
- - Military reform
- - Arranged in 5 series. Series 1: Chronological File, 1886-1949; Series 2: World War II File, 1941-1946; Series 3: Writings File, 1906-1949; Series 4: Miscellany, 1919-1951; and Series 5: Addition, 1863-1977.
- - Gift, John A. Palmer, 1950-1955.
- - Gift, A. Conger Goodyear, 1955.
- - Gift, I.B. Holley via Duke University, 2006.
- - U.S. Army officer and author.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010233
- - MSS35402
- 8,750 items.
- 26 containers.
- 10 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- Online Format
- web page
- Army officer and author. Correspondence, memoranda, subject files, drafts, biographical material, notes and research material, speeches and writings, printed matter, and miscellaneous papers relating to Palmer’s career as a military officer.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- (George Catlett)
- (John Joseph)
- Army Officers
- Chandler, John Palmer
- Marshall, George C.
- Marshall, George C. (George Catlett)
- Military History
- Military Reform
- Palmer, Maude Laning
- Pershing, John J.
- Pershing, John J. (John Joseph)
- Rockwell, George H.
- Rockwell, Mary Palmer
- United States
- United States. Army
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Palmer, John Mcauley. John McAuley Palmer papers, -1977. 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010233.
APA citation style:
Palmer, J. M. (1863) John McAuley Palmer papers, -1977. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010233.
MLA citation style:
Palmer, John Mcauley. John McAuley Palmer papers, -1977. 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010233>.