About this Item
- Black history collection,
- Correspondence, speeches, writings, court records, slave records, slave deeds, emancipation and manumission papers, birth and marriage records, wills, family and genealogical papers, military records, financial records, ships' papers, broadsides, newspaper clippings, printed matter, and other papers pertaining to African Americans from the colonial period through the early twenty-first century. Subjects include the slave trade, slaves, medical care of slaves, fugitive slaves, abolition, emancipation, manumission, freedmen, free blacks, civil rights, and military service, in particular during the American Civil War.
- Contributor Names
- Robards, Lewis C.
- Subject Headings
- - African American families
- - African American soldiers
- - African Americans
- - African Americans--Genealogy
- - Civil rights
- - Deeds
- - Free blacks
- - Freedmen
- - Fugitive slaves
- - Marriage records
- - Registers of births, etc
- - Ship's papers
- - Slave records
- - Slave trade
- - Slavery
- - Slaves
- - Slaves--Emancipation
- - Slaves--Legal status, laws, etc
- - Slaves--Medical care
- - Wills
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Participation, African American
- - Arranged alphabetically by topic, name of person or organization, or type of material and alphabetically and chronologically thereunder.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Black History Collection, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Gift, bequest, purchase, and transfer, circa 1900-2019.
- - Collection material in English, French, and Spanish.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms009282
- - Includes a receipt book (1851 February 6-1853 May 23) of Lewis C. Robards that was formerly cataloged separately.
- 1,215 items.
- 6 containers plus 2 oversize.
- 3.6 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- Restrictions may apply to unprocessed material.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- African American Families
- African American Soldiers
- African Americans
- Civil Rights
- Civil War
- Free Blacks
- Fugitive Slaves
- Legal Status, Laws, Etc
- Marriage Records
- Medical Care
- Participation, African American
- Registers of Births, Etc
- Ship's Papers
- Slave Records
- Slave Trade
- United States
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Robards, Lewis C. Black History Collection. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm82057687.
APA citation style:
Robards, L. C. Black History Collection. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm82057687.
MLA citation style:
Robards, Lewis C. Black History Collection. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm82057687>.
More Collections like this
CollectionBlack history collection, 1623-2008 Letters, court records, legal documents, slave deeds, financial records, speeches and writings, family and genealogical papers, military records, birth records, inventories, wills, ships' papers, a commonplace book, poll tax receipts, broadsides, postcards,...
- Contributor: Robards, Lewis C.
- Date: 1700
CollectionCarl Brent Swisher collection of research materials relating to Roger B. Taney,
Carl Brent Swisher papers Chiefly reproductions of correspondence, reports, records, and newspapers gathered by Swisher for a history of Roger B. Taney's tenure as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Subjects include African Americans, the...
- Contributor: Swisher, Carl Brent
CollectionAfrican American soldiers in World War II collection, Correspondence, memoranda, transcripts of oral history interviews conducted by Maggi M. Morehouse, alphabetical lists of the soldiers interviewed, government documents, reports, notes, books, subject files, a scrapbook, newspaper clippings, printed matter, maps,...
- Contributor: Morehouse, Maggi M.
CollectionAfrican American soldiers in World War II collection, 1918-2018 Correspondence, memoranda, oral history interviews, government documents, reports, notes, books, subject files, a scrapbook, photographs, newspaper clippings, printed matter, digital files, and other material documenting the World War II participation of African...
- Contributor: Morehouse, Maggi M.
- Date: 1918
CollectionNelson W. Jordan family papers, circa 1864-2003
Jordan family papers Former slave, soldier, and clergyman. Photographs, correspondence, personal and family Bibles, family trees and other genealogical information, scrapbooks, diaries, speeches and writings, sermons, notebooks, school work, school publications, diplomas, posters, and printed...
- Contributor: Jordan, D. Mozella - Jordan, Julia D. - Jordan, Nelson W. - Price, Peter W. - Jordan, Nelson R. - Jordan, Walker Harrison - Jordan, Carrie - Turner, Ruth - Womack, G. H. (General Henry)
- Date: 1864