About this Item
- Benjamin Titus Roberts family papers,
- Family and general correspondence, diaries, notebooks, speeches and writings, and other papers of Benjamin Titus Roberts and members of his family: his wife, Ellen Lois Stowe Roberts, his sons, lawyer George Lane Roberts and clergyman Benson Howard Roberts, and their wives, Anna A. Rice Roberts and Emma Sellew Roberts, respectively. Topics include family and domestic matters; Benjamin Titus Roberts's work and association with the Free Methodist Church of North America, especially in upstate New York; Benson Howard Roberts's duties as principal of the Chili Seminary, later A. M. Chesbrough Seminary, North Chili, N.Y.; George Lane Roberts's law practice and business ventures in Bradford, Pa., and Rochester, N.Y., and brief residency in South America; and matters relating to the allied Rice, Sellew, and Stowe families. Includes material on the dissension and division within the Genesee Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the 1850s and the overseas missionary work of the Free Methodist Church in the 1880s and 1890s.
- Contributor Names
- Roberts, Benjamin Titus, 1823-1893.
- Roberts, Anna A. Rice, -1881.
- Roberts, Benson Howard.
- Roberts, Ellen Lois Stowe.
- Roberts, Emma Sellew.
- Roberts, George Lane.
- Subject Headings
- - Rice family
- - Roberts family
- - Sellew family
- - Stowe family
- - A.M. Chesbrough Seminary (North Chili, N.Y.)
- - Chili Seminary (North Chili, N.Y.)
- - Free Methodist Church of North America
- - Methodist Episcopal Church.--Genesee Annual Conference
- - Methodist Church--Clergy
- - Methodist Church--Missions
- - Methodist Church--New York (State)
- - Methodist theological seminaries--New York (State)--North Chili
- - Practice of law--New York (State)--Rochester
- - Practice of law--Pennsylvania--Bradford
- - Bradford (Pa.)--Commerce
- - Rochester (N.Y.)--Commerce
- - South America--Description and travel
- - Arranged in eight series. Series 1: Anna A. Rice Roberts Papers, 1869-1881; Series 2: Benjamin Titus Roberts Papers, 1844-1895; Series 3: Benson Howard Roberts Papers, 1875-1924; Series 4: Ellen Lois Stowe Roberts Papers, 1843-1907; Series 5: Emma Sellew Roberts Papers, 1875-1906; Series 6: George Lane Roberts Papers, 1869-1902; Series 7: Other Family Members, 1832-1906; and Series 8: Addition, 1842-1954.
- - Microfilm edition of the portion of the collection processed before 1990 available, no. 20,293.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1990.
- - Gift, Fannie W. Zahniser, 1979-1993.
- - Photographs transferred to Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
- - Clergyman and founder of the Free Methodist Church of North America.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms009135
- 7,200 items.
- 38 containers.
- 34 microfilm reels.
- 15.2 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- Restrictions may apply to unprocessed material.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Roberts, Anna A. Rice
- Roberts, Benjamin Titus
- Roberts, Benson Howard
- Roberts, Ellen Lois Stowe
- Roberts, Emma Sellew
- Roberts, George Lane
- A.M. Chesbrough Seminary (North Chili, N.Y.)
- Bradford (Pa.)
- Chili Seminary (North Chili, N.Y.)
- Description and Travel
- Free Methodist Church of North America
- Genesee Annual Conference
- Methodist Church
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Methodist Theological Seminaries
- New York (State)
- North Chili
- Practice of Law
- Rice Family
- Roberts Family
- Rochester (N.Y.)
- Sellew Family
- South America
- Stowe Family
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roberts, Benjamin Titus, Anna A. Rice Roberts, Benson Howard Roberts, Ellen Lois Stowe Roberts, Emma Sellew Roberts, and George Lane Roberts. Benjamin Titus Roberts family papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm82058719.
APA citation style:
Roberts, B. T., Roberts, A. A. R., Roberts, B. H., Roberts, E. L. S., Roberts, E. S. & Roberts, G. L. Benjamin Titus Roberts family papers. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm82058719.
MLA citation style:
Roberts, Benjamin Titus, et al. Benjamin Titus Roberts family papers. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm82058719>.
More Collections like this
CollectionHorsford-Tryon families papers,
Horsford family papers | Tryon family papers Chiefly correspondence of Horsford and Tryon family members primarily in central New York. Correspondence of Jerediah Horsford and his wife, Maria Charity Norton Horsford, relating to his service as U.S. representative from...
CollectionEdmund Roberts papers, Official and family correspondence, journals, manuscript drafts of Roberts's book Embassy to the Eastern Courts of Cochin-China, Siam, and Muscat; in the U.S. Sloop-of-war Peacock, David Geisinger, Commander, During the Years 1832-3-4...
- Contributor: Roberts, Edmund
CollectionJoseph J. Roberts family papers,
Joseph Jenkins Roberts family papers | Roberts family papers Correspondence, land grants, ship registrations, wills, genealogical material, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to land sales by the Liberian government and to acquisition of property in Liberia by the Davis and...
- Contributor: Roberts, Joseph J. (Joseph Jenkins)
CollectionNicholas Low papers, Family and business correspondence; business and ship's papers; legal papers; accounts of voyages to Asia, Europe, and South America; and printed matter of Nicholas Low, merchant of Low & Wallace, New York,...
- Contributor: Low, Nicholas
CollectionJoseph J. Roberts family papers, 1839-2001
Joseph Jenkins Roberts family papers | Roberts family papers President of Liberia. Correspondence, land grants, ship registrations, wills, genealogical material, photographs, and other papers relating to land sales by the Liberian government and to acquisition of property in Liberia by the...
- Contributor: Roberts, Joseph J. (Joseph Jenkins)
- Date: 1839