About this Item
- Alfred Adler papers,
- Correspondence, memoranda, lectures, writings, reports, notes, patient case studies and record books, appointment book, certificates, clippings, printed matter, photographs, and other papers relating to Adler's career as a psychologist, his family, and the careers of two of his children, Alexandra Adler and Kurt A. Adler. Includes material pertaining to Alfred Adler's daughter, Valentina Adler Sas, and her life in the Soviet Union and death in a Soviet labor camp.
- Includes a letter (1937) written by Albert Einstein comparing theories of Adler and Sigmund Freud. Other correspondents include Adler's wife, Raissa Epstein Adler, and their children; G. Margery Allen; and Phyllis Bottome, biographer of Adler.
- Alexandra Adler's papers concern her personal life and career in neurology, neuropsychiatry, and psychiatry in Austria and the United States. Includes material documenting her work pertaining to post-traumatic stress disorder and to her study of the instances of multiple sclerosis and visual agnosia in victims of Boston's Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire in 1942. Correspondents include psychoanalysts and mentors in Vienna, Austria; Adler's husband, Halfdan Gregersen; and her brother, Kurt A. Adler, and his wife, Freyda Adler.
- Kurt A. Adler's papers concern his career as a psychiatrist and relate to subjects including depression and suicide, dreams, psychotherapy, and schizophrenia.
- Adler, Alfred, 1870-1937
- Adler, Alexandra, 1901-2001
- Adler, Kurt A. (Kurt Alfred), 1905-1997
- Adler family
- - Adler, Alexandra,--1901-2001
- - Adler, Freyda,--1908---Correspondence
- - Adler, Kurt A.--(Kurt Alfred),--1905-1997
- - Adler, Raissa Epstein--Correspondence
- - Allen, G. Margery--Correspondence
- - Bottome, Phyllis,--1882-1963--Correspondence
- - Einstein, Albert,--1879-1955--Correspondence
- - Freud, Sigmund,--1856-1939
- - Gregersen, Halfdan,--1896-1980--Correspondence
- - Sas, Valentine Adler,--1898-1942
- - Adler family
- - Adler family--Correspondence
- - Cocoanut Grove (Boston, Mass.)--Fire, 1942
- - Depression, Mental
- - Dreams
- - Labor camps--Soviet Union
- - Multiple sclerosis
- - Neurology
- - Neuropsychiatry
- - Post-traumatic stress disorder
- - Psychiatry
- - Psychoanalysts--Correspondence
- - Psychology
- - Psychotherapy
- - Schizophrenia
- - Suicide
- - Visual agnosia
- - Arranged in five series. Series 1: Alfred Adler Papers, 1888-1975; Series 2: Adler Family Papers, 1885-2001; Series 3: Closed, 1937-1977; Series 4: Oversize, 1896-1979; and Series 5: Digital Files, 1994-2013.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, Alfred Adler Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Microfilm edition available for containers 1-3, no. 20,332.
- - Microfilm produced from originals in the Manuscript Division. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1991.
- - Gift, Alexandra Adler, Kurt A. Adler, and Margot S. Adler, 1973-2014.
- - Purchase, 1974-1999.
- - Audiocassettes transferred to Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
- - Sigmund Freud's work, Psychopathologie des Alltagslebens, inscribed by Freud to Adler, transferred to Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
- - Psychologist.
- - Collection material in English and German, with Russian.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms009144
- 9,300 items.
- 972 digital files (306.2 MB).
- 27 containers plus 2 oversize.
- 4 microfilm reels.
- 10.6 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Access and other restrictions apply. Contact the Manuscript Reading Room for further information.
- Digital files require advance notice for retrieval. Request in Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room.
Additional Metadata Formats
- Adler Family
- Adler, Alexandra
- Adler, Freyda
- Adler, Kurt A.
- Adler, Raissa Epstein
- Allen, G. Margery
- Bottome, Phyllis
- Cocoanut Grove (Boston, Mass.)
- Depression, Mental
- Einstein, Albert
- Freud, Sigmund
- Gregersen, Halfdan
- Kurt Alfred)
- Labor Camps
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sas, Valentine Adler
- Soviet Union
- Visual Agnosia
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Adler, Alfred, Alexandra Adler, Kurt A Adler, and Adler Family. Alfred Adler papers.
APA citation style:
Adler, A., Adler, A., Adler, K. A. & Adler Family. Alfred Adler papers.
MLA citation style:
Adler, Alfred, et al. Alfred Adler papers.