Manuscript/Mixed Material Bound volume---28 November 1835-18 April 1838
About this Item
- Bound volume---28 November 1835-18 April 1838
- Contributor Names
- Morse, Samuel Finley Breese, 1791-1872.
- Created / Published
- 28 November 1835-18 April 1838
- Subject Headings
- - Correspondence
- - During his work on the telegraph, Morse needed political help to obtain support from Congress as much as he required technical and financial assistance, and this formal agreement allowed him to achieve all three. By sharing ownership of sixteen shares in a future telegraph system with Congressman Francis Ormond Jonathan "Fog" Smith (four shares), technician Alfred Vail (two shares), and professor of science Leonard D. Gale (one share), Morse (nine shares) forged an alliance that would allow him eventually to succeed.
- - The dots and dashes system of telegraph transmission that became known as Morse Code came into being once Morse began his collaboration with Alfred Vail. One of its earliest versions is seen on page 153 in the bottom line titled "2d For Letters." By 1844, what became known as "American Morse" had emerged, with nearly every letter undergoing some small change. This system was, in turn, itself slightly altered to form what was known as "International Morse."
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Series: General Correspondence and Related Documents
- MSS33670: box 12, folder 001
- Microfilm reel: 6
- Source Collection
- Samuel Finley Breese Morse papers, 1793-1944
- Manuscript Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
With a few exceptions, which are noted below, the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials included in this online presentation. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Note that the Samuel F. B. Morse Papers in the Library of Congress's Manuscript Division consists of personal papers and other manuscript materials. The Library of Congress received the collection as a series of gifts from descendants of Samuel F. B. Morse and through purchases. Works created by Morse, his family, and other individuals may in some cases be subject to copyright. In many of these cases, we were unable to identify a possible rightsholder and have elected to place these items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Users are reminded that in all cases responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Morse, Samuel Finley Breese. Bound volume---28 November 1835-18 April 1838. 28 November -18 April 1838, 1835. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mmorse000012/. (Accessed December 13, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Morse, S. F. B. (1835) Bound volume---28 November 1835-18 April 1838. 28 November -18 April 1838. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mmorse000012/.
MLA citation style:
Morse, Samuel Finley Breese. Bound volume---28 November 1835-18 April 1838. 28 November -18 April 1838, 1835. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mmorse000012/>.