Photo, Print, Drawing Lucy Branham in Occoquan prison dress.
About this Item
- Lucy Branham in Occoquan prison dress.
Created / Published
- - National Woman's Party
- - Women prisoners--United States--Political activity
- - Branham, Lucy Gwynne, 1892-1966
- - Women--Suffrage--United States
- - Photographs
- - United States
- - Title transcribed from item.
- - Summary: Photograph of Lucy Branham speaking at outdoor meeting during the NWP "Prison Special" tour. Branham is above a large crowd, wearing prison dress and suffrage sash, with suffrage flag and camera on tripod behind her (right).
- - Photograph published in The Suffragist, 7, no. 10 (Mar. 8, 1919): 11. Caption: "Lucy Branham in Prison Costume Speaking at a Prison Special Meeting."
- - Lucy G. Branham was one of the members of the "Prison Special" tour of NWP speakers in 1919. She had been arrested for picketing in 1917. Source: Doris Stevens, Jailed for Freedom (New York: Boni and Liveright, 1920), 355.
- 1 photograph: print; 4.75 x 6.75 in.
Call Number/Physical Location
- Location: National Woman's Party Records, Group II, Container II:276, Folder: Group Photographs Nos. 100-110
- Records of the National Woman's Party
- Manuscript Division
- 1918 to 1920 | Historical Timeline of the National Womans Party | Articles and Essays | Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party | Digital Collections
- Officers and National Organizers | Selected Leaders of the National Woman's Party | Articles and Essays | Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party | Digital Collections
- Gallery of Suffrage Prisoners | Articles and Essays | Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works made for hire" (copyright held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and to hear from individuals or institutions having any additional information. Please contact us through our Ask A Librarian service.
Researchers wishing to quote from or refer to special presentation features and pdfs included in this digital site should cite the title of the feature and the following digital collection information: Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Please include the URL of the web page being cited and the date of access. Citations to the individual photographs from the collection should include the photograph title and date, Records of the National Woman's Party, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Please see the bibliographic records for the individual photographs for further detail.
The Library of Congress has researched the contents of this collection to ascertain any possible legal rights embodied in the materials. Items included in this collection with the permission of right holders are listed below. For further use of reproduction of those items, please contact the rights holders listed.
Two photographs, "Muriel Lynch (and daughter?)," and "Dorothy Thompson, Journalist," made available here with permission from Bachrach Studio. 321 S. Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about reproductions of Manuscript Division items found in American Memory, contact the Library of Congress Duplication Services.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lucy Branham in Occoquan prison dress. United States, 1919. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000304/.
APA citation style:
(1919) Lucy Branham in Occoquan prison dress. United States, 1919. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000304/.
MLA citation style:
Lucy Branham in Occoquan prison dress. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000304/>.