Photo, Print, Drawing Party members picketing the Republican convention, Chicago, June 1920. L-R Abby Scott Baker, Florence Taylor Marsh, Sue White, Elsie Hill, Betty Gram.
About this Item
- Party members picketing the Republican convention, Chicago, June 1920. L-R Abby Scott Baker, Florence Taylor Marsh, Sue White, Elsie Hill, Betty Gram.
- Contributor Names
- International Film Service Co., Inc. (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- 1920 June
- Subject Headings
- - National Woman's Party
- - Suffragists--United States--1910-1920
- - Baker, Abby Scott, 1871-1944
- - Women--Suffrage--Illinois
- - Picketing
- - White, Sue Shelton, 1887-1943
- - Hill, Elsie M. (Elsie Mary), b. 1883
- - Marsh, Florence Taylor
- - Gram, Betty
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Illinois -- Chicago
- - United States -- Tennessee -- Jackson
- - Title transcribed from item.
- - Summary: Photograph of women holding banners outside in front of stores. Banners read "Tennessee," "Connecticut," and "We protest against the continued disfranchisement of women for which the Republican party is now responsible. The Republican party defeated ratification in Delaware. The Republican party is blocking ratification in Vermont. The Republican party is blocking ratification in Connecticut. When will the Republican party stop blocking suffrage?"
- - Abby Scott Baker, Betty Gram, Elsie M. Hill, and Sue Shelton White all spent time in jail for their participation in NWP activism. White, of Jackson, Tenn., was state chairman of the NWP and one of the editors of The Suffragist. She was a court and convention reporter for ten years and in 1918 was appointed by the Governor of Tennessee to the State Commission for the Blind. She was active with the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution, as well as the Federation of Women's Clubs and the Parent Teachers' Association. She was arrested Feb. 9, 1919, and served five days in District Jail for participating in watchfire demonstration. She soon after participated in the NWP's "Prison Special" tour of the United States. Doris Stevens, Jailed for Freedom (New York: Boni and Liveright, 1920), 370.
- 1 photograph: print; 7.5 x 9.5 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Location: National Woman's Party Records, Group II, Container II:276, Folder: Group Photographs Nos. 111-118
- Source Collection
- Records of the National Woman's Party
- Manuscript Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works made for hire" (copyright held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and to hear from individuals or institutions having any additional information. Please contact us through our Ask A Librarian service.
Researchers wishing to quote from or refer to special presentation features and pdfs included in this digital site should cite the title of the feature and the following digital collection information: Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Please include the URL of the web page being cited and the date of access. Citations to the individual photographs from the collection should include the photograph title and date, Records of the National Woman's Party, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Please see the bibliographic records for the individual photographs for further detail.
The Library of Congress has researched the contents of this collection to ascertain any possible legal rights embodied in the materials. Items included in this collection with the permission of right holders are listed below. For further use of reproduction of those items, please contact the rights holders listed.
Two photographs, "Muriel Lynch (and daughter?)," and "Dorothy Thompson, Journalist," made available here with permission from Bachrach Studio. 321 S. Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about reproductions of Manuscript Division items found in American Memory, contact the Library of Congress Duplication Services.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
International Film Service Co., Inc. Party members picketing the Republican convention, Chicago, June . L-R Abby Scott Baker, Florence Taylor Marsh, Sue White, Elsie Hill, Betty Gram. Chicago Illinois Jackson Tennessee United States, 1920. June. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000306/.
APA citation style:
International Film Service Co, I. (1920) Party members picketing the Republican convention, Chicago, June . L-R Abby Scott Baker, Florence Taylor Marsh, Sue White, Elsie Hill, Betty Gram. Chicago Illinois Jackson Tennessee United States, 1920. June. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000306/.
MLA citation style:
International Film Service Co., Inc. Party members picketing the Republican convention, Chicago, June . L-R Abby Scott Baker, Florence Taylor Marsh, Sue White, Elsie Hill, Betty Gram. June. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mnwp000306/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, DrawingSue S. White, Chairman, Tenn. N.W.P. [Tennessee National Woman's Party], mainly responsible winning Tenn. Ratification as ...
- Contributor: Harris & Ewing, Washington, D.C.
Photo, Print, DrawingPicketing the Republican Convention, June 1920.
- Contributor: Chicago Tribune
Photo, Print, DrawingParty members picketing the Republican convention in Chicago, June 1920.
- Contributor: International Film Service Co., Inc., Chicago
Photo, Print, DrawingElsie Hill speaking [at street meeting in St. Paul, Minn., during Prohibition Party convention that endorsed ...
- Contributor: Harris & Ewing, Washington, D.C.