Film, Video TR reviews and addresses troops [Fort Sheridan, Ill.]; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917 /
About this Item
- TR reviews and addresses troops [Fort Sheridan, Ill.]; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917 /
- Other Title
- TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917
- Theodore Roosevelt reviews and addresses troops [Fort Sheridan, Ill.]
- Theodore Roosevelt riding in auto, Chicago, 1917
- Two segments of TR during a midwestern speaking tour in support of military preparedness. On September 27, 1917, TR visited the officers' training camp at Fort Sheridan, Illinois. Views of troops marching past a reviewing stand for inspection by TR and several civilian and military personnel; identified on the platform with TR are Captain Georges Etienne Bertrand (wearing beret), a visiting Frenchman who instructed the trainees in trench warfare, and Colonel James A. Ryan, commanding officer of Fort Sheridan; TR addresses the troops after the review. The second segment shows scenes from a parade staged in TR's honor in Chicago on April 28, 1917. Views of men on horseback who appear to be mounted police, sailors and cavalry; view of TR standing and waving his hat in an open touring car; identified in the car with TR are Arthur Meeker and Samuel Insull, Chicago businessmen who are members of the welcoming committee, and other unidentified men.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Bertrand, Georges Etienne, 1890?-
- Ryan, James A.
- Meeker, Arthur, 1866-1946.
- Insull, Samuel, 1859-1938.
- Universal Film Manufacturing Company.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Universal Film Manufacturing Co., 1917.
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Army
- - United States.--Navy
- - Marching
- - Processions
- - Preparedness
- - Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- - World War, 1914-1918--Public opinion
- - Military training camps--Illinois
- - Parades--Illinois--Chicago
- - Fort Sheridan (Ill.)
- Short films
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: President Theodore Roosevelt, Captain Georges Etienne Bertrand, Colonel James A. Ryan, Arthur Meeker, Samuel Insull.
- - Duration: 1:34 at 18 fps.
- - First segment has Universal animated weekly v. 5, issue no. 92, released October 4, 1917. Second segment does not have volume numbering.
- - MAVIS 1244991; TR reviews and addresses troops [Fort Sheridan, Ill.]; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917.
- - Flash titles, copies vary in length due to number and length of titles.
- - Dupe neg pic FRA 6019 was previously on this record with acquisition information as received Aug. 1995 from Bono film lab (with viewing print FAB 7636). FRA 6019 was viewed and does not include these two titles. FRA was moved from MAVIS 1244991 to MAVIS 12915 and was deleted from this record.
- - Sources used: P&P portrait file; Fort Sheridan Association. The history and achievements of the Fort Sheridan officers' training camps. 1920; Chicago daily tribune. 9/28/1917:2-3; The Chicago daily news. 9/27/1917:1; 4/28/1917:1-3; Moving picture world, v. 34.1, p. 435; Moving picture world, v. 34.1 p. 526.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print, dupe neg pic, master pos pic, non-viewing pos pic; Received: May 1968 from USDA lab and Jan. 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - viewing print (FAB 7636); Received: Aug. 1995 from Bono film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Mrs. Foster, Community; flash titles; copies vary in length due to number and length of titles; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968 and LC lab: Jan. 1976; Thedore Roosevelt Assocation Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (28 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (8 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (106 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (61 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (106 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (61 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic. 1 film reel of 1 (106 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- non-viewing pos pic. 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0698 (viewing print)
- FAB 7636 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FEA 6742 (viewing print)
- FEA 6743 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 5744 (dupe neg pic)
- FPB 7201 (dupe neg pic)
- FPB 7342 (dupe neg pic, copy 2)
- FPB 7343 (master pos pic)
- FRA 5743 (non-viewing pos pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsBertrand, Georges Etienne
Ryan, James A.
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
Universal Film Manufacturing Company
Fort Sheridan (ill.)
Military Training Camps
Speeches, Addresses, Etc., American
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Georges Etienne Bertrand, James A Ryan, Arthur Meeker, Samuel Insull, Universal Film Manufacturing Company, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. [TR reviews and addresses troops Fort Sheridan, Ill.; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917]. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000043/. (Accessed September 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Bertrand, G. E., Ryan, J. A., Meeker, A., Insull, S., Universal Film Manufacturing Company & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1917) [TR reviews and addresses troops Fort Sheridan, Ill.; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917]. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000043/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. [TR reviews and addresses troops Fort Sheridan, Ill.; TR riding in auto, Chicago, 1917]. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000043/>.