Film, Video TR's inauguration, 1905  /
About this Item
- TR's inauguration, 1905  /
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt's inauguration, 1905 
- Scenes of TR's second inauguration on March 4, 1905 in Washington, D.C.: long panning shots of crowds gathered at the Capitol; on a platform erected on the East Front of the Capitol, Chief Justice Melville W. Fuller administers the presidential oath of office to TR as Chief Clerk of the Supreme Court James H. McKenney holds the Bible; TR speaks to crowd. Views of the West Point band and cadets, the Naval Academy band and midshipmen, men on horseback, and the Citizens Americus Club of Pittsburgh, carrying umbrellas, marching by and turning the corner off Pennsylvania Ave. onto Fifteenth St., NW. Views of the presidential escort, Squadron A of New York National Guard, mounted Rough Riders, Secret Service, detectives, and TR's carriage moving on their way to the Capitol. Beside TR in the carriage is Sen. John C. Spooner of Wis., chairman of the Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies; opposite but not visible are Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge of Mass. and Rep. John Dalzell of Penn., both members of the committee. On Pennsylvania Ave., two groups of officers on horseback, a civilian band, and cavalry and marching soldiers parade by.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Fuller, Melville Weston, 1833-1910.
- McKenney, James Hall, 1837-1913.
- Spooner, John C. (John Coit), 1843-1919.
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1850-1924.
- Dalzell, John, 1845-1927.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1905.
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Army.--Cavalry, 1st
- - United States Military Academy
- - United States Naval Academy
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Inauguration, 1905
- - Inauguration Day
- - Oaths
- - Midshipmen
- - Processions
- - Secret service--United States
- - Pennsylvania Avenue (Washington, D.C.)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - President Roosevelt, John C. Spooner, Henry Cabot Lodge, John Dalzell, Melville Weston Fuller, James H. McKenney.
- - Duration: 4:33 (part 1), 3:48 (part 2), 1:13 (part 3) at 16 fps.
- - Film sequence is repeated and does not follow order of actual events.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association numbers: RMA 301-01; RMA 301-2B.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. Gift to RMA from Paramount. Leader between some scenes.
- - Sources used: Washington, D.C. Inaugural Committee, 1905. Inauguration of Theodore Roosevelt as President of the United States, March 4, 1905. ; Washington post. 3/5/05:1-2; The New York herald. 3/5/05:2, 5; New York tribune. 3/5/05:1-3; P&P presidential file.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, gift to RMA from Paramount; leader between some scenes; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at LC lab: Feb. 1976.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (580 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (580 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (580 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 6695 (viewing print)
- FPB 7200 (dupe neg pic)
- FPB 8236 (dupe neg pic, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Fuller, Melville Weston
Lodge, Henry Cabot
McKenney, James Hall
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Roosevelt Memorial Association
Spooner, John C. (john Coit)
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
Pennsylvania Avenue (washington, D.C.)
United States Capitol (washington, D.C.)
United States Military Academy
United States Naval Academy
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Presidential Inaugurations: Theodore Roosevelt, Inauguration, March 4, 1905
- 1900 to 1905 - Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film - Digital Collections
- Theodore Roosevelt on Film - Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film - Digital Collections
- 1905 to 1910 - Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film - Digital Collections
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Melville Weston Fuller, James Hall McKenney, John C Spooner, Henry Cabot Lodge, John Dalzell, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. [TR's inauguration, 1905 1]. [United States: s.n, 1905] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000047/. (Accessed August 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Fuller, M. W., McKenney, J. H., Spooner, J. C., Lodge, H. C., Dalzell, J. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1905) [TR's inauguration, 1905 1]. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000047/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. [TR's inauguration, 1905 1]. [United States: s.n, 1905] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000047/>.