Film, Video The Prince of Wales visits TR's grave
About this Item
- The Prince of Wales visits TR's grave
- In the summer of 1919, Edward, the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII, embarked on a tour of the Dominions. After touring Canada for several months, the Prince decided to spend several days in the United States. His visit was the first visit of a Prince of Wales to the United States since that of his grandfather, Edward VII, fifty years earlier. On his last day in New York, Nov. 21, 1919, the Prince made a semiprivate journey to Oyster Bay. Film shows the Prince placing a laurel wreath on TR's grave in Youngs Memorial Cemetery; the Prince, Theodore Roosevelt Jr., wearing a mourning band, a man who is probably Joseph M. Nye, Chief of Special Agents, Dept. of State, and a group of men return down the path from the gravesite. Behind the Prince, the man wearing dark glasses is probably Viscount Grey, British Ambassador to the United States. A man wearing an ascot and walking in the rear of the group may be Rodman Wanamaker, Chairman of the Mayor's Committee on Reception to Distinguished Guests. The Prince tips his hat to people gathered alongside the path.
- Contributor Names
- Windsor, Edward, Duke of, 1894-1972.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Nye, Joseph M.
- Grey of Fallodon, Edward Grey, Viscount, 1862-1933.
- Wanamaker, Rodman, 1863-1928.
- International Film Service.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1919.
- Subject Headings
- - Windsor, Edward,--Duke of,--1894-1972
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919
- - Memorial rites and ceremonies
- - Royal visitors z New York (State)--New York
- - Oyster Bay (N.Y. : Bay)
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- Short films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 0:20 at 16 fps.
- - Appearing: Theodore Roosevelt Jr., Joseph M. Nye, Viscount Grey, Rodman Wanamaker.
- - Sources used: Newton, Wilfrid Douglas. Westward with the Prince of Wales. 1920; Trevelyan, George M. Grey of Fallodon. 1937; Kinross, John P. D. B. The Windsor years. 1967; New York (City). Mayor's Committee on Celebration of Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Greater City of New York. Official book of the silver jubilee of greater New York. 1923; P&P portrait file.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquire from Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA). RMA purchase from International Newsreel Company.
- - Received: 5/1968 from USDA lab; ref print and dupe neg; preservation, 1967 transfer to LC from NPS; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (8 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (8 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0847 (ref print)
- FRA 5852 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recording Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsGrey of Fallodon, Edward Grey
International Film Service
Nye, Joseph M.
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
New York Bay
Memorial Rites and Ceremonies
Oyster Bay (N.Y. : Bay)
Royal Visitors Z New York (State)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Windsor, Edward, Duke Of, Theodore Roosevelt, Joseph M Nye, Edward Grey Grey Of Fallodon, Rodman Wanamaker, International Film Service, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. The Prince of Wales visits TR's grave. [United States: s.n, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000082/. (Accessed February 27, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Windsor, E., Roosevelt, T., Nye, J. M., Grey Of Fallodon, E. G., Wanamaker, R., International Film Service & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1919) The Prince of Wales visits TR's grave. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000082/.
MLA citation style:
Windsor, Edward, Duke Of, et al. The Prince of Wales visits TR's grave. [United States: s.n, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000082/>.