Film, Video William H. Taft in Panama.
About this Item
- William H. Taft in Panama.
- Other Title
- William Howard Taft in Panama
- On one of many visits to Panama, William Howard Taft inspects canal construction and visits ruins in what may be the Panamanian jungle. Views of crowd of men and women on dock, posing for camera; a tugboat pulls into unidentified harbor, with Taft and General George W. Goethals, chief engineer of the Panama Canal project, seated on upper deck; Taft and entourage in formal dress board what may be the armored cruiser Tennessee, while crew stands at attention; view of cruiser deck; Taft and entourage disembark from unidentified vessel, with crowd gathered on dock; Taft party is greeted at train by General Goethals: party includes Mrs. Helen Herron Taft, wife of the President, and Federico Alfonso Pezet, minister to the United States from Peru. In last scene Taft and members of his party visit site of stone ruins in the jungle.
- Contributor Names
- Taft, William H. (William Howard), 1857-1930.
- Goethals, George W. (George Washington), 1858-1928.
- Taft, Helen Herron, 1861-1943.
- Pezet, Federico Alfonso.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n., 1910?].
- Subject Headings
- - Canals, Interoceanic--Panama
- - Cruisers (Warships)
- - Ships
- - Architecture, Primitive
- - Panama Canal (Panama)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: reg. unknown.
- - Duration: 2:23 at 18 fps.
- - Appearing: William Howard Taft, George W. Goethals, Helen Herron Taft, Federico Alfonso Pezet.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association lists date in title as 1907; identification of members of Taft's entourage suggests event may be Taft's visit to Panama in Nov. 1910.
- - Sources used: Pringle, Henry F. The life and times of William Howard Taft. 1939; P&P presidential file; P&P portrait file; Jane's fighting ships. 1915, p. 174.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. Purchased by RMA from Walter Futter. Mild scratches.
- - Received: 5/68 from USDA lab; ref prints, dupe neg, and arch pos; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Futter; mild scratches; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: 5/1968.
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print (copy 2)
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print (copy 3)
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. arch pos.
- 1 reel of 1 (64 ft) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. arch pos (copy 2)
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 1031 (ref print)
- FAB 1650 (ref print, copy 2)
- FAB 1652 (ref print, copy 3)
- FRA 6210 (dupe neg)
- FRA 5889 (arch pos)
- FRA 6359 (arch pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsGoethals, George W. (george Washington)
Pezet, Federico Alfonso
Taft, Helen Herron
Taft, William H. (william Howard)
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
SubjectsActualities (motion Pictures)
Panama Canal (panama)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Taft, William H, George W Goethals, Helen Herron Taft, Federico Alfonso Pezet, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. William H. Taft in Panama. [United States: s.n., ?, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000111/. (Accessed October 23, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Taft, W. H., Goethals, G. W., Taft, H. H., Pezet, F. A. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1910) William H. Taft in Panama. [United States: s.n., ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000111/.
MLA citation style:
Taft, William H, et al. William H. Taft in Panama. [United States: s.n., ?, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000111/>.