Film, Video RMA flag service on the steps of New York Public Library, 1919 Roosevelt Memorial Association flag service on the steps of New York Public Library, 1919
About this Item
- RMA flag service on the steps of New York Public Library, 1919
- Roosevelt Memorial Association flag service on the steps of New York Public Library, 1919
- On October 27, 1919 the Roosevelt memorial flag, which has been carried across New York State in TR's honor, is brought to rest at his grave in Youngs Memorial Cemetery, Oyster Bay, N.Y. Views of Samuel Abbott, originator of the memorial flag idea, placing the flag on TR's grave. Sequence of two young girls and a boy placing flower bouquet and flag through fence surrounding TR's grave, event may not be part of flag ceremonies. Final scenes of flag ceremony sponsored by Roosevelt Memorial Association on the steps of New York Public Library, Oct. 25; long shots of notables standing on platform, possible identifications from right to left are: Henry Cabot Lodge, honorary vice-president of RMA; the man next to Lodge is probably Henry J. Allen, Governor of Kansas; William Boyce Thompson, president of RMA, is holding the flag with the help of a man who appears to be Henry D. Lindsley, chairman of the event; William Loeb Jr., vice-president of RMA, is visible in back of Thompson; next to Loeb is probably William Gibbs McAdoo; and the man to the far left with hands to his side may be Elihu Root, an RMA trustee. Sequence of Boy Scouts and members of the Naval Reserve hoisting flag up flagpole as an unidentified man leads the crowd in singing.
- Kinograms Publishing Corp.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association, former owner.
- Urban, Charles, former owner.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [United States : s.n. 1919]
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919
- - Presidents--United States
- - Memorial rites and ceremonies--New York (State)--New York
- - Memorial rites and ceremonies--New York (State)--Oyster Bay
- - New York Public Library
- - Youngs Memorial Cemetery
- - Flags--United States
- - Lodge, Henry Cabot,--Jr.,--1902-1985
- - Allen, Henry Justin,--1868-1950
- - Thompson, William Boyce,--1869-1930
- - Loeb, William,--Jr.,--1866-1937
- - McAdoo, W. G.--(William Gibbs),--1863-1941
- - Root, Elihu,--1845-1937
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Duration: 1:10 at 16 fps.
- - Appearing: Samuel Abbott, Henry Cabot Lodge, Henry J. Allen, William Boyce Thompson, Henry D. Lindsley, William Loeb Jr., William Gibbs McAdoo.
- - Film sequence does not follow order of actual events; second sequence, children at the grave, is unverified.
- - Photographed on October 25, 1919 in New York City, and October 27, 1919 in Oyster Bay, New York.
- - May have originally been part of a newsreel.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association inventory number RMA 305-02-12.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Daily news, New York, October 25, 1919, p. 8; The New York times mid-week pictorial. v. 10, no. 10, 1919, p. 9; New York American, October 25, 1919, p. 11; LC Prints & Photographs Division portrait file; The Theodore Roosevelt Association...catalog, p. 42-73.
- - Collection transferred to LC from National Park Service in 1967. Previous owners: Roosevelt Memorial Association; Urban.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection : a catalog / prepared by Wendy White-Henson and Veronica M. Gillespie. Library of Congress, 1986.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- non-viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0994 (viewing print)
- FRA 5976 (dupe neg pic)
- FRA 5977 (non-viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recording Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Kinograms Publishing Corp
- Roosevelt Memorial Association
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Urban, Charles
- (William Gibbs)
- Allen, Henry Justin
- Lodge, Henry Cabot
- Loeb, William
- McAdoo, W. G.
- Memorial Rites and Ceremonies
- New York
- New York (State)
- New York Public Library
- Nonfiction Films
- Oyster Bay
- Roosevelt, Theodore
- Root, Elihu
- Short Films
- Silent Films
- Thompson, William Boyce
- United States
- Youngs Memorial Cemetery
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kinograms Publishing Corp, Former Owner Roosevelt Memorial Association, Charles Urban, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. RMA flag service on the steps of New York Public Library. [United States: s.n, 1919] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000141/.
APA citation style:
Kinograms Publishing Corp, Roosevelt Memorial Association, F. O., Urban, C. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1919) RMA flag service on the steps of New York Public Library. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000141/.
MLA citation style:
Kinograms Publishing Corp, et al. RMA flag service on the steps of New York Public Library. [United States: s.n, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000141/>.