Film, Video [Flag services for TR at Oyster Bay, October 1919] Flag services for Theodore Roosevelt at Oyster Bay, October 1919 / Children visit TR's grave, 1920
About this Item
- [Flag services for TR at Oyster Bay, October 1919]
- Flag services for Theodore Roosevelt at Oyster Bay, October 1919
- Children visit TR's grave, 1920
- On October 27, 1919 the Roosevelt memorial flag, which has been carried across New York State in TR's honor, is brought to rest at his grave in Youngs Memorial Cemetery, Oyster Bay, N.Y. View of two young girls and a boy placing flower bouquet and flag through fence surrounding TR's grave, event may not be part of flag ceremonies. Shots from different angles of memorial flag as it is borne by young men up the steep pathway to the gravesite; five girls sew the 48th and final star on flag at what is probably Cove School in Oyster Bay with group of children and Boy Scouts visible in background; view of children and adults on cemetery grounds. Final scene of Samuel Abbott, originator of memorial flag idea, placing flag on TR's gravesite.
- Urban, Charles, former owner.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association, former owner.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [United States : World Film Corp., 1919 and 1920?]
- The runners reach the Roosevelt grave in Oyster Bay. -- For the great American.
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Tomb
- - Presidents--United States
- - Youngs Memorial Cemetery
- - Memorial rites and ceremonies--New York (State)--Oyster Bay
- - Flags--United States
- - Abbott, Samuel,--active 1919
- Film clips
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - Appearing: Samuel Abbott.
- - Duration: 1:10 at 16 fps.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA) inventory list gives title as Children visit TR's grave, 1920.
- - Date of first sequence, children at the grave, is unverified.
- - Photographed on October 27, 1919 in Oyster Bay, N.Y. and in 1920 in Oyster Bay, N.Y.
- - Summary from The Theodore Roosevelt Association...catalog, p. 24.
- - Probably originally part of a newsreel. On interior title: Kinograms. Kinograms were released by World Film Corp. from 1919-1921.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association inventory number RMA 303-06-05.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: The Daily news, New York, October 25, 1919, p. 8; The New York times mid-week pictorial. v. 10, issue 10, Nov. 6, 1919, p. 10 viewed October 25, 2021 via the Internet Archive (sim_midweek-pictorial_1919-11-06_10_10); LC Prints & Photographs Division portrait file; The Theodore Roosevelt Association...catalog, p. 24; Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA) inventory list in M/B/RS Theodore Roosevelt Association acquisition file.
- - Collection transferred to LC from National Park Service in 1967. Previous owners: Roosevelt Memorial Association; Charles Urban.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection : a catalog / prepared by Wendy White-Henson and Veronica M. Gillespie. Library of Congress, 1986.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (28 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- non-viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (28 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0988 (viewing print)
- FRA 5965 (non-viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Roosevelt Memorial Association
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Urban, Charles
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: firstname.lastname@example.org):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Urban, Charles, Former Owner, Former Owner Roosevelt Memorial Association, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Flag services for TR at Oyster Bay, October. [United States: World Film Corp., and 1920?, 1919] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000143/.
APA citation style:
Urban, C., Roosevelt Memorial Association, F. O. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1919) Flag services for TR at Oyster Bay, October. [United States: World Film Corp., and 1920?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000143/.
MLA citation style:
Urban, Charles, Former Owner, Former Owner Roosevelt Memorial Association, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Flag services for TR at Oyster Bay, October. [United States: World Film Corp., and 1920?, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000143/>.