Film, Video TR at Forest Hills, New York, 1917  Theodore Roosevelt at Forest Hills, New York, 1917, 2
About this Item
- TR at Forest Hills, New York, 1917 
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt at Forest Hills, New York, 1917, 2
- At Forest Hills, July 4, 1917, TR speaks in support of vigorous American war involvement and attacks conscientious objectors in an address at the Forest Hills Gardens railroad station; he later reviews the Forest Hills Rifle Club in a nearby field. Views of TR marching with Rifle Club members, speaking informally with individuals, standing at attention as Club marches past, and talking with an officer who may be Col. J. A. Delafield. Long shot of the speaker's balcony on the outdoor stairway of the Forest Hills Gardens railroad station, with Frederick Burgess, Bishop of Long Island, speaking and introducing TR; crowd cheers TR, who then begins to speak; panning shots of crowds.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Burgess, Frederick, Bp., 1853-1925.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1917.
- Subject Headings
- - Forest Hills (New York, N.Y.)
- - Fourth of July celebrations
- - Fourth of July orations
- - Railroad terminals--New York (State)
- - Marching
- - Military ceremonies, honors, and salutes
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: Theodore Roosevelt, Frederick Burgess.
- - Duration: 3:36 (part 1), 1:51 (part 2) at 18 fps.
- - Film sequence does not follow order of actual events.
- - Sources used: P&P portrait file; Federal Writers' Project. New York (City), New York City guide, 1939, p. 581-582; Goudy, Frederic W. Why we have chosen Forest Hills Gardens for our home, 1915; The Brooklyn daily eagle, 7/5/1917 p. 4.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 5/1968 from USDA lab; viewing print and dupe neg pic; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from National Park Service, NPS acquired from RMA, gift to RMA from John Demarest; film sequence does not follow order of actual events; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: 5/1968.
- 1 film reel of 1 (152 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (152 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 1049 (viewing print)
- FRA 6015 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Burgess, Frederick
- Roosevelt, Theodore
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: firstname.lastname@example.org):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Frederick Burgess, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR at Forest Hills, New York,2. [United States: s.n, 1917] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000174/.
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Burgess, F. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1917) TR at Forest Hills, New York,2. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000174/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Frederick Burgess, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR at Forest Hills, New York,2. [United States: s.n, 1917] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000174/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoTR, Mayor Mitchel, Governor Charles Whitman of New York, and Myron Herrick, 1917
Theodore Roosevelt, Mayor Mitchel, Governor Charles Whitman of New York, and Myron Herrick, 1917 Close-up view of New York Governor Charles S. Whitman (1915-1918), Myron T. Herrick, formerly governor of Ohio and United States ambassador to France, and New York City Mayor John P. Mitchel (1914-1917)...
- Contributor: Mitchel, John Purroy - Herrick, Myron T. (Myron Timothy) - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Whitman, Charles S.
- Date: 1917
Film, VideoTR seated at his desk in the Outlook office [1914?]
Theodore Roosevelt at his desk in the Outlook office [1914?] TR works at his desk in the New York City office of The Outlook, a small but influential weekly journal of opinion for which he became a special contributing editor early in...
- Contributor: Roosevelt, Theodore - International Newsreel Corporation - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1914
Film, VideoScenes of TR at Sagamore Hill, 1912
Scenes of Theodore Roosevelt at Sagamore Hill, 1912 First film footage taken of TR at Sagamore Hill, summer of 1912. TR on his horse Sidar shakes hands with William P. Helm, Associated Press correspondent for New York City and Washington...
- Contributor: Helm, William P. (William Pickett) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Pathé Frères (France) - Roosevelt, Theodore - Roosevelt, Archibald (Archibald Bulloch) - Associated Press
- Date: 1912
Film, VideoShall we prepare?
TR speaking at Sagamore | TR in Metropolitan Magazine office, 1916 | Theodore Roosevelt speaking at Sagamore | Theodore Roosevelt in Metropolitan Magazine office, 1916 Two sequences of TR: Sequence 1: views of TR walking onto the porch of Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, N.Y., facing the camera, and then speaking on military preparedness during WWI; Sequence 2:...
- Contributor: Hovey, Carl - Bray Studios - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Paramount Pictures Corporation
- Date: 1916
Film, VideoTR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919
Theodore Roosevelt's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919 Views of Christ Episcopal Church, the funeral procession, and Youngs Memorial Cemetery during the funeral of Theodore Roosevelt on January 8, 1919, in Oyster Bay, N.Y. Medium close shot of specially delegated...
- Contributor: Wood, Leonard - Straus, Oscar S. (Oscar Solomon) - Talmadge, George E. - Marshall, Thomas R. (Thomas Riley) - March, Peyton Conway - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Winslow, Cameron McRae - Universal Film Manufacturing Company - Roosevelt, Archibald (Archibald Bulloch)
- Date: 1919