Film, Video TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910 /
About this Item
- TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910 /
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910
- Robert Bacon, American Ambassador to France, TR, Jules Jusserand, French Ambassador to the United States, and General Jean B. Dalstein, Military Governor of Paris, arrive at the Château de Vincennes, a medieval castle and dungeon, parts of which are used by French military schools; the group has been invited to review troops and observe military maneuvers. TR's party arrives in a car and is received by M. Lépine, the Prefect of Police, General Verand, and Colonel Jacquot. In the courtyard of the dungeon, TR is mounted on a horse while his stirrups are adjusted and leggings are brought to fit over his formal striped trousers. There are several scenes of Bacon, Dalstein, TR, and other dignitaries and soldiers riding through an arch, probably La Porte du Bois, on the way to the Polygon, the field where the maneuvers are to take place, and scenes of the group riding past French cavalry units. Views of TR and Dalstein mounted, with Jusserand standing nearby, watching the military maneuvers and sham battle enacted for TR. TR shakes Dalstein's hand as he leaves; Jusserand and TR tip their hats to French officers.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Bacon, Robert, 1860-1919.
- Jusserand, J. J. (Jean Jules), 1855-1932.
- Dalstein, Jean B.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [S.l. : s.n., 1910].
- Subject Headings
- - Château de Vincennes (Vincennes, France)
- - Military maneuvers--France--Vincennes
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: Theodore Roosevelt, Ambasssador Robert Bacon, Ambassador Jules Jusserand, General Jean B. Dalstein, M. Lépine, General Verand, Colonel Jacquot.
- - Duration: 3:40 at 16 fps.
- - Film is out of sequence.
- - MAVIS 1808209; TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910.
- - Donor's inventory number: RMA 321-02-02.
- - Sources used: Lorant, Stefan. The life and times of Theodore Roosevelt, 1959; Gardner, Joseph L. Departing glory, 1973; Le Figaro, Paris, 4/28/1910: 2; The Times, London, 4/28/1910: 5; Le Matin, Paris, 4/28/1910: 2; Enaud, François. Le Château de Vincennes, 1964: 60, 84; Enjalric, Marcel. Château de Vincennes, [1975?]; P&P portrait file.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print and dupe negs; Received: May 1968 from USDA lab and May 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Lyman Howe; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968 and LC lab: May 1976.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg 1 film reel of 1 (221 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0968 (viewing print)
- FRA 5937 (dupe neg)
- FPB 7351 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Jusserand, J. J. (jean Jules)
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
SubjectsActualities (motion Pictures)
Château De Vincennes (vincennes, France)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Robert Bacon, J. J Jusserand, Jean B Dalstein, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910. [S.l.: s.n, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000186/. (Accessed August 30, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Bacon, R., Jusserand, J. J., Dalstein, J. B. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1910) TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910. [S.l.: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000186/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. TR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910. [S.l.: s.n, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000186/>.