Film, Video TR in Africa [1909, 2] /
About this Item
- TR in Africa [1909, 2] /
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt in Africa [1909, 2]
- Roosevelt in Africa
- Scenes of African peoples and of TR's safari party, all probably filmed in British East Africa (Kenya) in 1909. View of TR planting a tree in front of trading company building, possibly located in Mombasa, long shot of busy amusement area in Kenyan seaport of Mombasa, including shot of ferris wheel filled with Swahilis; shots, taken from observation platform on train engine, of plains along the Uganda Railway, with herdsmen who are probably Masai and railroad workers visible along tracks; train pulls into small community; women who are probably Masai, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu, gather water at spring, accompanied by children.
- Rainmaker dances in ritual ceremony, surrounded by Swahilis; members of unknown tribe draw water from a well, with large thatched structure in background; views of Masai men, women, and children in kraal, with clear shots of mud houses; TR and his party appear in group of Kikuyu and/or Masai tribesmen; women who are probably Masai, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu, form ceremonial circle on open plain; TR and members of his party examine a gun in the presence of African tribesmen; unidentified tribesmen pose individually for camera at close range, with campsite visible in background; at campsite porters work busily, either setting up or breaking camp, with TR briefly visible; view of Kikuyu and/or Masai dance, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu dance, in honor of TR's visit; Roosevelt party crosses stream, with porters carrying gear and safari members across water toward camera.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Kearton, Cherry, 1871-1940, photographer.
- Community Motion Picture Service, inc.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1909.
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Travel--Africa--Kenya
- - Big game hunting--Africa
- - Tree planting--Kenya
- - Maasai (African people)
- - Maasai (African people)--Social life and customs
- - Kikuyu (African people)
- - Kikuyu (African people)--Social life and customs
- - Dance--Africa
- - Africans
- - Kenya--Social life and customs
- - Mombasa (Kenya)
- Travelogues (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association lists date in title as 1910.
- - Film appears to be fragment of production, Roosevelt in Africa, released April 18, 1910.
- - Photographer, Cherry Kearton.
- - Appearing: President Theodore Roosevelt.
- - Duration: 3:34 (part 1), 3:54 (part 2) at 12 fps; 3:36 (part 3), 1:52 (part 4) at 18 fps.
- - MAVIS 1244972; TR in Africa [1909,2].
- - Sources used: Scribner's magazine. v. 47, no. 3, 1910:264; v. 47, no. 6, 1910:643-644, 650-652; Roosevelt, Kermit. A sentimental safari. 1963:XXIX; Kearton, Cherry. Adventures with animals and men. 1935:68-71; Kearton, Cherry. Photographing wild life across the world. :105-106; Roosevelt Memorial Association. Annual report. 1926:18; Library of Congress. African Section; Moving Picture World, v. 6, p. 528-529, 682-683.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. RMA purchased from Community.
- - viewing print, dupe neg; Received: May 1968 from USDA lab and Mar. 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Community; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968 and LC lab: Mar. 1976.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (298 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (746 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (298 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (746 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 1226 (viewing print)
- FEA 7635 (viewing print)
- FRA 6172 (dupe neg)
- FPB 8075 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsCommunity Motion Picture Service, Inc
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
Big Game Hunting
Kikuyu (african People)
Maasai (african People)
Social Life and Customs
Travelogues (motion Pictures)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Inc Community Motion Picture Service, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection, Kearton, Cherry, photographer. [TR in Africa 1909, 2]. [United States: s.n, 1909] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000261/. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Community Motion Picture Service, I. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection, Kearton, C., photographer. (1909) [TR in Africa 1909, 2]. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000261/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Inc Community Motion Picture Service, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection, photographer by Kearton, Cherry. [TR in Africa 1909, 2]. [United States: s.n, 1909] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000261/>.