Film, Video TR in Norway and Denmark, 1910  /
About this Item
- TR in Norway and Denmark, 1910  /
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt in Norway and Denmark, 1910 
- While returning from Africa in 1910, Theodore Roosevelt visited many European countries, including Denmark, May 2-3, and Norway, May 4-6. Roosevelt, King Haakon, Edith Roosevelt, Queen Maud, Ethel Roosevelt, Kermit Roosevelt, and others enter carriages outside the railroad station in Oslo, Norway. Carriages arrive at the wharf in Helsingør, Denmark. Roosevelt and Kermit arrive by carriage outside the National Theater in Oslo where he is to deliver his acceptance speech for the 1906 Nobel Peace Prize. They are greeted by King Haakon and others. Ethel, probably Edith, and Queen Maud arrive at the theater. Crowds gather outside King Frederick University, Oslo.
- Roosevelt, Crown Prince Christian, later King Christian X, Kermit, Edith, and Ethel enter carriages in Copenhagen, Denmark. The carriage with Roosevelt and Prince Christian arrives at Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen. Roosevelt, a woman who may be Katharine M. Egan, and Dr. Maurice Francis Egan, American minister to Denmark (barely visible on far left), arrive by auto and are greeted by unidentified men. There is a pan of the crowds at Frederiksborg Castle in Denmark. Roosevelt and entourage arrive, as Danish soldiers march by, visit, and bid hosts goodbye at Kronborg Castle, Denmark. Roosevelt and the Egans board the steamer Queen Maud. The ship sails past Kronborg Castle, a Danish naval ship, and returns to Copenhagen. Roosevelt leaves the ship and enters a carriage.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Haakon VII, King of Norway, 1872-1957.
- Maud, Queen, consort of Haakon VII, King of Norway, 1869-1938.
- Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow, 1861-1948.
- Derby, Ethel Roosevelt.
- Roosevelt, Kermit, 1889-1943.
- Christian X, King of Denmark, 1870-1947.
- Egan, Katharine M.
- Egan, Maurice Francis, 1852-1924.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1910.
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Travel--Norway
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Travel--Denmark
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Awards
- - Norway--Description and travel
- - Denmark--Description and travel
- - Oslo (Norway)
- - Copenhagen (Denmark)
- - Nobel Prizes
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: President Theodore Roosevelt, King Haakon, Edith Roosevelt, Queen Maud, Ethel Roosevelt, Kermit Roosevelt, Crown Prince Christian, Katharine M. Egan, Dr. Maurice F. Egan.
- - Film sequence does not follow order of actual events.
- - Film is slightly out of frame; flash titles written on leader between scenes.
- - Duration: 4:04 (part 1) and 3:22 (part 2) at 16 fps.
- - MAVIS 1808208; TR in Norway and Denmark, 1919 .
- - Donor's inventory number: RMA 321-06B.
- - Sources used: Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division presidential and portrait files; Aftenposten, Oslo, 5/4/1910, p. 1-2 and 5/6/1910, p. 1; Politiken, Copenhagen, 5/3/1910, p. 1, 3 and 5/4/1910, p. 3.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print and dupe negs; Received: May 1968 from USDA lab and Feb. 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Nordiska; flash titles written on leader between scenes; film is slightly out of frame; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968 and LC lab: March 1976.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 186 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 186 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 465 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0886 (viewing print)
- FRA 5874 (dupe neg)
- FPB 7190 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Derby, Ethel Roosevelt
Egan, Katharine M.
Egan, Maurice Francis
Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (library of Congress)
Description and Travel
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, King Of Norway Haakon Vii, Queen Maud, Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt, Ethel Roosevelt Derby, Kermit Roosevelt, King Of Denmark Christian X, Katharine M Egan, Maurice Francis Egan, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. [TR in Norway and Denmark, 1910 1]. [United States: s.n, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000345/. (Accessed September 30, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Haakon Vii, K. O. N., Maud, Q., Roosevelt, E. K. C., Derby, E. R., Roosevelt, K. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1910) [TR in Norway and Denmark, 1910 1]. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000345/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. [TR in Norway and Denmark, 1910 1]. [United States: s.n, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000345/>.