Film, Video TR's return from Africa, 1910  Theodore Roosevelt's return from Africa, 1910  / Roosevelt's return from Africa
About this Item
- TR's return from Africa, 1910 
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt's return from Africa, 1910 
- Roosevelt's return from Africa
- TR returns from his African hunting trip through the countries of Sudan, France, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Great Britain, and finally his reception in New York City. There are views of: 1) his riverboat on the Nile River in Sudan; 2) TR's visit in Paris with French Ambassador Jules Jusserand, Gen. Jean B. Dalstein, American Ambassador Robert Bacon, and Mrs. Bacon; his trip to Issy-les-Moulineaux; TR reviewing French troops with Jusserand, Bacon, and Dalstein at Vincennes on Apr. 27, 1910; and TR leaving the University of Paris (Sorbonne) on Apr. 23, 1910; 3) TR with Prince Christian and others in Denmark May 2-3, 1910; 4) TR and King Haakon in Christiania (now Oslo) on May 4-6, 1910; 5) views of Berlin including the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag; TR, Kaiser Wilhelm, the Kaiserin, and others leaving the University of Berlin on May 12, 1910; 6) the funeral cortege at Windsor on May 20, 1910; identified in the processional, left to right, walking in rows are: Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, King George V of England, and the Duke of Connaught; the Duke of Cornwall (later King Edward VIII) and Prince Albert (later King George VI); two rows of the King's aides; King Alfonso XII of Spain, King George I of Greece, and King Haakon VII of Norway; King Manuel II of Portugal, King Frederik VIII of Denmark, and King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria; Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, King Albert I of Belgium, and Prince Yusuf Izzedin of Turkey; the Duke of Aosta, Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovitch of Russia, and Prince Sadanaru Fushimi of Japan; the Crown Prince of Rumania (later King Carol II), the Duke of Sparta (later King Constantine I of Greece), and probably Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria; Crown Prince of Serbia (later Peter I), Duke Albrecht of Wurtemberg, and Prince Henry of the Netherlands; the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the Grand Duke of Hesse, and Prince Henry of Prussia; Crown Prince George of Saxony, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg, and Prince Charles (later King Gustav VI) of Sweden; probably the Prince of Waldeck, probably Prince Tsai-tao of China, and Prince Mohammed Ali of Egypt; Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, Prince Arthur of Connaught, and Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein; Prince Alexander of Battenburg; Prince George of Cumberland, and the Duke of Fife; TR is visible at the end of the procession; 7) TR's arrival in New York City, his greeting by Mayor William J. Gaynor, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Henry Cabot Lodge, and William Loeb, his speech at the Battery, and the parade in his honor.
- Contributor Names
- Gentry, Caroline, 1870-1939, direction.
- Manning, Mae V., editing.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Jusserand, J. J. (Jean Jules), 1855-1932.
- Dalstein, Jean B.
- Bacon, Robert, 1860-1919.
- Christian X, King of Denmark, 1870-1947.
- Haakon VII, King of Norway, 1872-1957.
- William II, German Emperor, 1859-1941.
- George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936.
- Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942.
- Windsor, Edward, Duke of, 1894-1972.
- George VI, King of Great Britain, 1895-1952.
- Alfonso XIII, King of Spain, 1886-1941.
- George I, King of the Hellenes, 1845-1913.
- Manuel II, King of Portugal, 1889-1932.
- Frederik VIII, King of Denmark, 1843-1912.
- Ferdinand I, Czar of Bulgaria, 1861-1948.
- Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria, 1863-1914.
- Albert I, King of the Belgians, 1875-1934.
- Gaynor, William Jay, -1913.
- Vanderbilt, Cornelius, 1873-1942.
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1850-1924.
- Loeb, William, 1866-1937.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, [1925?].
- Subject Headings
- - Heads of state
- - Kings and rulers
- - Brandenburger Tor (Berlin, Germany)
- - Reichstagsgebäude (Berlin, Germany)
- - Denmark
- - Oslo (Norway)
- - Streets--Germany
- - Edward--VII,--King of Great Britain,--1841-1910--Death and burial
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 4:40 (part 1), 3:48 (part 2), 4:38 (part 3), 3:41 (part 4), 4:22 (part 5), 3:52 (part 6), 3:31 (part 7) at 18 fps.
- - Editor, Mae Manning.
- - Donor's inventory numbers: RMA 325-8; RMA 325-9.
- - MAVIS 13307; TR's return from Africa, 1910 .
- - Sources used: Roosevelt Memorial Association. Annual report. 1925, p. 18; Roosevelt Memorial Association. Theodore Roosevelt's return from Africa (script); Theodore Roosevelt film catalog, p. 117.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print, dupe neg pic; Received: June 1976 from LC lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at LC lab: June 1976.
- viewing print. 2 film reels of 2 (ca. 1,927 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 2 film reels of 2 (ca. 1,927 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 9051-9052 (viewing print)
- FPB 4601-4602 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Albert I
- Alfonso XIII
- Bacon, Robert
- Christian X
- Dalstein, Jean
- Ferdinand I
- Franz Ferdinand
- Frederik VIII
- Gaynor, William Jay
- Gentry, Caroline
- George I
- George V
- George VI
- Haakon VII
- Jusserand, J. J. (Jean Jules)
- Lodge, Henry Cabot
- Loeb, William
- Manning, Mae V.
- Manuel II
- Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library
- Roosevelt, Theodore
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Vanderbilt, Cornelius
- William II
- Windsor, Edward
- Actualities (Motion Pictures)
- Brandenburger Tor (Berlin, Germany)
- Death and Burial
- Heads of State
- King of Great Britain
- Kings and Rulers
- Nonfiction Films
- Oslo (Norway)
- Reichstagsgebäude (Berlin, Germany)
- Roosevelt, Theodore
- Short Films
- Silent Films
- Speeches, Addresses, Etc., American
- Rights and Access | About this Collection | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
- 1906 to 1910 | Timeline of Theodore Roosevelt's Life | Articles and Essays | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
- Theodore Roosevelt on Film | Articles and Essays | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
- 1905 to 1910 | Film Chronology of Roosevelt and His Times | Articles and Essays | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: firstname.lastname@example.org):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, J. J Jusserand, Jean B Dalstein, Robert Bacon, King Of Denmark Christian X, King Of Norway Haakon Vii, German Emperor William Ii, et al. TR's return from Africa,2. editeds by Manning, Mae V.Iting, , , directeds by Gentry, Caroline, Ection [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?, 1925] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000377/.
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Jusserand, J. J., Dalstein, J. B., Bacon, R., Christian X, K. O. D., Haakon Vii, K. O. N. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection, Manning, M. V. I., ed. (1925) TR's return from Africa,2. Gentry, C., dir [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000377/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. TR's return from Africa,2. ed by Manning, Mae V.Iting, , , dir by Gentry, Caroline, Ection [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?, 1925] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000377/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoTR in Norway and Denmark, 1910 
Theodore Roosevelt in Norway and Denmark, 1910  While returning from Africa in 1910, Theodore Roosevelt visited many European countries, including Denmark, May 2-3, and Norway, May 4-6. Roosevelt, King Haakon, Edith Roosevelt, Queen Maud, Ethel Roosevelt, Kermit Roosevelt, and...
- Contributor: Haakon VII - Christian X - Derby, Ethel Roosevelt - Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Maud - Egan, Katharine M. - Egan, Maurice Francis - Roosevelt, Theodore - Roosevelt, Kermit
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoKing Edward's funeral, 1910  Ceremonial funeral procession of King Edward VII (1901-1910) passing through the streets of London on May 20, 1910. Views of the moving casket, heads of state walking behind the casket, the royal...
- Contributor: Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoTR reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910
Theodore Roosevelt reviews French troops at Vincennes, France, 1910 Robert Bacon, American Ambassador to France, TR, Jules Jusserand, French Ambassador to the United States, and General Jean B. Dalstein, Military Governor of Paris, arrive at the Château de Vincennes, a medieval...
- Contributor: Bacon, Robert - Jusserand, J. J. (Jean Jules) - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Dalstein, Jean
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoThe River of Doubt. [No. 2]
River of Doubt  Part 1: Several members of TR's group pose aboard the Vandyck, the ship on which TR sailed from New York in the fall of 1913. Left to right are: Anthony Fiala, former...
- Contributor: Fiala, Anthony - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Gentry, Caroline - Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library - Roosevelt, Theodore
- Date: 1928
Film, VideoTR speaking at the dedication of Roosevelt Dam, 1911
Theodore Roosevelt speaking at the dedication of Roosevelt Dam, 1911 On March 18, 1911, TR spoke at the dedication of the Roosevelt Dam. Providing irrigation for the Salt River Valley area of the territory of Arizona, the dam is largely the result...
- Contributor: Fowler, Benjamin A. - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Sloan, Richard E. - Hill, Louis C. (Louis Clarence)
- Date: 1911