Film, Video President McKinley inauguration, 1901 President McKinley's inauguration, 1901
About this Item
- President McKinley inauguration, 1901
- Other Title
- President McKinley's inauguration, 1901
- The first 3 minutes may be unrelated footage: includes views of men getting into cars and carriages; views of crowds observing men disembarking from carriages and entering a building; views of President William McKinley speaking. Views of crowds on Pennsylvania Ave., NW, in front of the old Willard Hotel during the March 4, 1901 inaugural festivities. A mounted military unit rides through what is probably the court of honor, the area on Pennsylvania Ave., NW, from Fifteenth St. to Seventeenth St.; the President and his party reviewed the inaugural parade from a stand in this area. McKinley doffs his hat to the crowd as his carriage passes the Willard Hotel [3:54 min.]. Sen. Marcus A. Hanna of Ohio sits beside McKinley in the carriage. Several members of the President's special escort, Troop A of the Ohio National Guard, are visible along with aides and guards. The man riding alone in the second carriage may be Theodore Roosevelt. The last sequence, of McKinley in a carriage in the court of honor [4:14 min.], is repeated [4:24 min.].
- Contributor Names
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901, depicted.
- Hanna, Marcus Alonzo, 1837-1904, depicted.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919, depicted.
- Paramount Pictures Corporation (1914-1927) former owner.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association, former owner.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - McKinley, William,--1843-1901--Inaugurations
- - Presidents--United States--Inauguration
- - Hanna, Marcus Alonzo,--1837-1904
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919
- - Pennsylvania Avenue (Washington, D.C.)
- - Ohio.--National Guard.--Troop A
- Filmed parades
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Appearing: President William McKinley, Sen. Marcus A. Hanna, Theodore Roosevelt.
- - Duration: 4:33 min.
- - Photographed March 4, 1901 in Washington, D.C.
- - Most of summary from The Theodore Roosevelt Association...catalog, p. 54-55.
- - May have originally been part of a newsreel.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association inventory number: RMA 319-07-01.
- - LC also holds two films in the Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection entitled President McKinley's inauguration, 1901. [No. 1], and President McKinley's inauguration, 1901. [No. 2].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Washington, D.C. Inaugural Committee, 1901; Official souvenir program, inaugural ceremonies, March 4, 1901. ; LC Prints & Photographs Division presidential file; LC Prints & Photographs Division stereo file; Eskew, Garnett L. Willard's of Washington. 1954; Case Western University WWW site, viewed March 10, 2021 (Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, Troop A page); The Theodore Roosevelt Association...catalog, p. 54-55.
- - Collection transferred to LC from National Park Service in 1967. Previous owners: Roosevelt Memorial Association, Paramount Pictures Corporation.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection : a catalog / prepared by Wendy White-Henson and Veronica M. Gillespie. Library of Congress, 1986.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 162 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 162 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 8962 (viewing print)
- FPB 9925 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Hanna, Marcus Alonzo
- McKinley, William
- Paramount Pictures Corporation
- Roosevelt Memorial Association
- Roosevelt, Theodore
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Trending: The Inauguration Will Not (Just) Be Televised
- Exploring America's Cinematic Heritage through the National Film Registry
- 1898 to 1900 | Film Chronology of Roosevelt and His Times | Articles and Essays | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
- 1900 to 1905 | Timeline of Theodore Roosevelt's Life | Articles and Essays | Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film | Digital Collections
- Ohio: Selected Library of Congress Primary Sources
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: firstname.lastname@example.org):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mckinley, William, Depicted, Marcus Alonzo Hanna, Theodore Roosevelt, Paramount Pictures Corporation Former Owner, Former Owner Roosevelt Memorial Association, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. President McKinley inauguration.  Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000380/.
APA citation style:
McKinley, W., Hanna, M. A., Roosevelt, T., Paramount Pictures Corporation Former Owner, Roosevelt Memorial Association, F. O. & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1901) President McKinley inauguration. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000380/.
MLA citation style:
Mckinley, William, Depicted, et al. President McKinley inauguration.  Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000380/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoTR's inauguration, 1905. [No. 1]
Theodore Roosevelt's inauguration, 1905. Scenes of TR's second inauguration on March 4, 1905 in Washington, D.C.: long panning shots of crowds gathered at the Capitol; on a platform erected on the East Front of the Capitol,...
- Contributor: Lodge, Henry Cabot - Paramount Pictures Corporation - McKenney, James Hall - Fuller, Melville Weston - Dalzell, John - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Spooner, John C. (John Coit) - Roosevelt, Theodore
- Date: 1905
Film, VideoPresident McKinley's funeral, 1901. [No. 1]
President McKinley's funeral, 1901  Three sequences of the funeral ceremonies held for President William McKinley: Sequence 1: McKinley's body lay in state in the Rotunda of the Capitol, Washington, D.C. on Sept. 17, 1901; views of...
- Contributor: Roosevelt Memorial Association - Biograph Company - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1901
Film, VideoTR in New Mexico, 1916
Theodore Roosevelt in New Mexico, 1916 On Oct. 23, 1916, Theodore Roosevelt campaigns for Republican presidential nominee Charles Evans Hughes and assails the Wilson administration in Albuquerque, N.M. A young woman rides on horseback carrying a bouquet of...
- Contributor: Roosevelt Memorial Association - Pathé Exchange - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1916
Film, VideoTheodore Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt leaving the White House | Hon. Theo. Roosevelt, Ass't Sec'y, U.S. Navy leaving White House | Honorable Theodore Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary, United States Navy leaving White House | TR as Assistant Secretary of the Navy leaving the White House, 1897 | Theodore Roosevelt as Assistant Secretary of the Navy leaving the White House, 1897 TR, in formal dress with hat, walks down the steps of the Treasury Building in Washington, D.C. and turns and walks toward the stationary camera. The south portico of the White House...
- Contributor: Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope Company
- Date: 1898
Film, VideoTR speaking to a group of men from the porch at Sagamore Hill, 1916
Theodore Roosevelt speaking to a group of men from the porch at Sagamore Hill, 1916 On May 27, 1916, groups of men, the 7th Regiment Band, and several children march on the road from the Oyster Bay railroad station to Sagamore Hill to demonstrate their support of...
- Contributor: Roosevelt Memorial Association - International Newsreel Corporation - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1916