Manuscript/Mixed Material Hans Peter Kraus Collection: Royal cedula to [Luis de Velasco], Viceroy of New Spain
About this Item
- Hans Peter Kraus Collection: Royal cedula to [Luis de Velasco], Viceroy of New Spain
- The King [Philip II of Spain]
Created / Published
- El Pardo, October 16, 1559
- - Latin America--History
- - New Spain--Politics and government
- - Catholic Church--Discipline
- - Manuscripts
- - The cathedral chapter of Antequera [Oaxaca], during the vacancy of the office of bishop, reported that one Cristóbal de Chaves had died intestate and that, even though his funeral rites pertained to the cathedral church, the Dominican friars, giving great scandal and bad example, had gone to his house with raised cross and taken his body to their friary—an offense against the cathedral and its immunity. When the diocesan authority excommunicated some people who accompanied the body of the deceased, the Dominicans admitted them to the hours of the office and preached publicly that the excommunications had no validity and that the friars would absolve them. Other scandalous words were also used, all of which was evident from an investigation which had been presented to the King. The King, having been requested to remedy the situation, expresses the opinion that such matters should be punished rigorously so that the friars will cease such actions and give a good example. He then commands that the Dominican provincial be shown the copy of the investigation signed by Gómez de Paz and that he punish the guilty friars in proportion to the seriousness of the case, so that it will be a punishment for the guilty and an example for others.
- 1 leaf
- Hans Peter Kraus collection of Spanish American documents, 1433-1877
- Manuscript Division
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The materials in Parallel Histories: Spain, the United States, and the American Frontier are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Parallel Histories: Spain, the United States, and the American Frontier.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The King Philip Ii Of Spain. Hans Peter Kraus Collection: Royal cedula to Luis de Velasco, Viceroy of New Spain. El Pardo, 1559. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mss31013-05200/.
APA citation style:
The King Philip Ii Of Spain. (1559) Hans Peter Kraus Collection: Royal cedula to Luis de Velasco, Viceroy of New Spain. El Pardo. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mss31013-05200/.
MLA citation style:
The King Philip Ii Of Spain. Hans Peter Kraus Collection: Royal cedula to Luis de Velasco, Viceroy of New Spain. El Pardo, 1559. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mss31013-05200/>.