Film, Video Magical Momentos
About this Item
- Magical Momentos
- Dimunation, Mark (Curator)
- - Houdini, Harry, 1874-1926
- - scrapbooks
- - Motion Pictures
- Motion Pictures
- - The future "Genius of Escape Who Will Startle and Amaze" ran away from home when he was 12 years old. A postcard from "Your truant son, Ehrich Weiss," to the mother he adored is the earliest example of Harry Houdini's handwriting at the Library of Congress. Houdini was born Ehrich Weisz in Budapest, Hungary, on March 24, 1874. Throughout his life, the man who became the famed Harry Houdini fervently explored the history and practice of the illusion arts. He kept record of his own career with equal passion, and, ever the self-promoter, maintained scrapbooks of all of his promotional advertising, replete with photographs, postcards, posters, playbills and news clippings. He willed his entire collection to the Library of Congress. His autobiographical scrapbooks have posed a serious conservation challenge. His keepsakes were glued to the acidic pages of cheap, store-bought scrapbooks. In order to preserve the items, the items were removed, treated and housed in appropriate archival storage.
- - Presented in Partnership with HISTORY
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Harry Houdini Collection(Selected Special Collections: Rare Book and Special Collections, Library of Congress)
- Harry Houdini, Ghostbuster: Exploring an Illusionist's Exposés through Primary Sources
- Harry Houdini's Rare Magic Books
- Rare Book and Special Collections Division Blogs
- Meet the Curators | Articles and Essays | Hidden Treasures at the Library of Congress | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dimunation, Mark. Magical Momentos. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/myloc10/.
APA citation style:
Dimunation, M. Magical Momentos. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/myloc10/.
MLA citation style:
Dimunation, Mark. Magical Momentos. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/myloc10/>.