Film, Video What was in Lincoln's pockets?
About this Item
- What was in Lincoln's pockets?
- Evans, Clark (Curator)
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 Assassination
- - Motion Pictures
- Motion Pictures
- - When Abraham Lincoln was shot at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C. on April 14, 1865, he was carrying two pairs of spectacles and a lens polisher, a pocketknife, a watch fob, a linen handkerchief, a brown leather wallet containing a five-dollar Confederate note, and eight newspaper clippings, including several favorable to the president and his policies. Given to his son Robert Todd upon Lincoln's death, these everyday items, which through association with tragedy had become like relics, were kept in the Lincoln family for more than seventy years. Because it is quite unusual for the Library to keep personal artifacts among its holdings, they were not put on display until 1976 when then Librarian of Congress Daniel Boorstin thought their exposure would humanize a man who had become "mythologically engulfed."
- - Presented in Partnership with HISTORY
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Lincoln's Birthday … And First Inauguration
- Library of the Unexpected: Cocaine, Hair and…Wedding Cake?
- The History Channel at the Library
- An interview with Taylor Gulatsi, Program Specialist
- "Now He Belongs to the Ages" - With Malice Toward None: The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Exhibition
- November 1863–April 1865 - The Civil War in America
- Meet the Curators | Articles and Essays | Hidden Treasures at the Library of Congress | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Evans, Clark. What was in Lincoln's pockets?. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/myloc16/.
APA citation style:
Evans, C. What was in Lincoln's pockets?. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/myloc16/.
MLA citation style:
Evans, Clark. What was in Lincoln's pockets?. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/myloc16/>.