Film, Video How to Make a Brand
About this Item
- How to Make a Brand
- Contributor Names
- Fleischhauer, Carl (Interviewer)
- Nichols, Jesse "Tex" (Narrator)
- Smock, William (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- October 16, 1979
- Subject Headings
- - Ninety-Six Ranch
- - Activities
- - Branding
- - Branding irons
- - Ethnography
- - Motion Pictures
- Motion Pictures
- - An example of cattle branding. Tex Nichols describes what makes a good brand, including where a brand is made and about the branding irons.
- - A competent person is one who has mastered the skills for a job and knows the difference between good and mediocre work. Tex Nichols employs both descriptive and value-laden words to describe branding and the yardstick against which competent performance may be measured. We might add to Nichols's remarks the instruction to rock the iron back and forth when applying the brand to a small calf. This rocking movement is needed for complete contact and may be seen in the film footage that opens this video clip.
- 16mm film
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1991/021: NV9-VT6
- Source Collection
- Paradise Valley Folklife Project Collection (AFC 1991/021)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
The Buckaroos in Paradise collection includes copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs, works of art, and other objects that are owned by the families or individuals identified in bibliographic records for those objects. The collection also includes audio and video interviews with individuals who consented to the inclusion of these selections here.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Paradise Valley Folklife Project collection, 1978-1982 (AFC 1991/021), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fleischhauer, Carl, Jesse "Tex" Nichols, and William Smock. How to Make a Brand. 1979. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/ncr002390/.
APA citation style:
Fleischhauer, C., Nichols, J. ". & Smock, W. (1979) How to Make a Brand. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ncr002390/.
MLA citation style:
Fleischhauer, Carl, Jesse "Tex" Nichols, and William Smock. How to Make a Brand. 1979. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ncr002390/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBranding, Ninety-Six Ranch
- Contributor: Northrup, Tex - Stewart, Leslie J. - Smock, William - Fleischhauer, Carl
- Date: 1979-10-16
Film, VideoThe Baler
- Contributor: Fleischhauer, Carl - Nichols, Jesse "tex" - Purser, Margaret Sermons
- Date: 1982-07-10
Film, VideoSorting the Herd
- Contributor: Fleischhauer, Carl - Smock, William
- Date: 1979-10-10
Film, VideoStrategy for Livestock Movement at the Branding
- Contributor: Stewart, Leslie J. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Wilson, William A. (William Albert)
- Date: 1981-05-09
Film, VideoBuckaroo Theodore Brown Parts a Cow from the Herd
- Contributor: Stewart, Leslie J. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Smock, William
- Date: 1979-10-10