Manuscript/Mixed Material Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, March 17, 1809.
About this Item
- Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, March 17, 1809.
- Contributor Names
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 (Author)
- Created / Published
- November 2, 1809
- Subject Headings
- - Madison, James, 1751-1836
- - Letter
- - Forms part of The James Madison Papers, 1723 to 1859; for additional information, see: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms009141
- - Jefferson describes his departure from Washington and opening letters on his return home. He describes going home on horseback the last few days in a terrible snowstorm, and refers to the"backward" spring, no oats sown, for instance. Jefferson offers President Madison advice about trying to avoid war with Europe and is very critical of Congress and the newspapers during his own administration. Warm feelings for Madison are expressed and Jefferson is confident Madison can preserve peace and wishes him a "smooth administration."
- - Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, March 17, 1809.
- - Original document scanned in 1999-2000 for the former American Memory presentation “I Do Solemnly Swear”: Presidential Inaugurations (retired 2016).
- Source Collection
- The James Madison Papers at the Library of Congress
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The contents of the Library of Congress James Madison Papers are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, James Madison Papers.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jefferson, Thomas. Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison. November 2, 1809. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/pin0602/.
APA citation style:
Jefferson, T. (1809) Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison. November 2. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/pin0602/.
MLA citation style:
Jefferson, Thomas. Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison. November 2, 1809. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/pin0602/>.