Manuscript/Mixed Material Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4, 1841.
About this Item
- Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4, 1841.
- Contributor Names
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845 (Author)
- Created / Published
- March 4, 1841
- Subject Headings
- - Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841
- - Letter
- - Forms part of The Martin Van Buren Papers, 1787 to 1910; for additional information, see: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001044
- - Former President Jackson writes to outgoing President Van Buren on the day of President Harrison's inauguration. Jackson praises Van Buren's "dignified" administration and denounces President Harrison's campaign and his "undignified" speeches that "abused" Van Buren. Jackson predicts that supporters of President Harrison will abandon him within two years and that Van Buren's "merit will be proclaimed by all the honest & moral portion of our country." President Harrison died in office on April 5, 1841.
- - Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4, 1841.
- - Original document scanned in 1999-2000 for the former American Memory presentation “I Do Solemnly Swear”: Presidential Inaugurations (retired 2016).
- Source Collection
- Martin Van Buren Papers, 1787 to 1910
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress provides access to manuscripts at the Library of Congress for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Martin Van Buren Papers.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jackson, Andrew. Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4. March 4, 1841. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/pin1403/.
APA citation style:
Jackson, A. (1841) Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4. March 4. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/pin1403/.
MLA citation style:
Jackson, Andrew. Letter from Andrew Jackson to Martin Van Buren, March 4. March 4, 1841. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/pin1403/>.