Manuscript/Mixed Material Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4, 1873.
About this Item
- Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4, 1873.
- Contributor Names
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881 (Author)
- Created / Published
- March 4, 1873
- Subject Headings
- - Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- - Diary entry
- Diary entry.
- - James Garfield, elected president in 1881, was a member of the House of Representatives from Ohio in 1873. On the day of President Grant's second inauguration, Garfield makes a defensive statement to the House regarding his role in what was to become the Credit Mobilier scandal. He witnesses President Grant's inauguration, recording it in brief fashion: "At 12 oclock Congress expired. Went to the Senate and witnessed the dissolution of the old Congress, the inauguration of the Vice President, the swearing in of the new Senators and then adjourned to the East Portico of the Capitol to see the Chief Justice administer the oath to the President elect and to see the latter read his inaugural speech. About fifteen thousand people were present. Out of the bitter cold away from the crowd I reached home late in the afternoon. I retired early and slept long and hard."
- - Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4, 1873.
- - Forms part of James A. Garfield papers, 1775-1889; for additional information, see: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms008147
- - Original document scanned in 1999-2000 for the former American Memory presentation “I Do Solemnly Swear”: Presidential Inaugurations (retired 2016).
- Source Collection
- James A. Garfield papers, 1775-1889
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Garfield, James A. Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4. March 4, 1873. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/pin2502/.
APA citation style:
Garfield, J. A. (1873) Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4. March 4. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/pin2502/.
MLA citation style:
Garfield, James A. Diary Entry of James A. Garfield, March 4. March 4, 1873. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/pin2502/>.