Audio Recording "This is just out of our old clothes."
About this Item
- "This is just out of our old clothes."
- Contributor Names
- Bryan, Mamie (Interviewee)
- Johnson, Geraldine Niva, 1940- (Interviewer)
- Bryan, Mamie (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Sparta, North Carolina
- Subject Headings
- - recycled fabrics
- - Ethnography
- - Interviews
- - United States -- North Carolina -- Sparta
- - Mamie and Leonard Bryan were interviewed in their home on September 10, 1978. Due to a technical problem, the audio tape of the first part of the interview is unavailable. The surviving audio includes descriptions of several individual quilts, and recollections of quilting as a child and as a young adult.
- - Transcription: MB: This one here. Now this is out of my and Leonard's clothes. Now this is another old quilt. This is just out of our old clothes. / GJ: That's a beauty isn't it, all those dark colors? With the red tacks? / MB: Pants. And this is his suit of clothes. He had a whole suit of that. I had a suit of that. All of these was his pants, and my dresses. Now that's what this quilt is out of. / GJ: Which ones are your dresses? / MB: On these dark ones you can't hardly tell what they are. Over there, that gray one is my dress. And the lining, now this is my dress. That there was my dress. And this green one here was my dress. I took my dresses and made linings out of the dress. They was big old wide dresses then, you know, we used to wear some big old wide things. So I just took my dress. Made good quilts.
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Sound tape reel : 7 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1982/009: BR8-GJ-R35
- Source Collection
- Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project Collection (AFC 1982/009)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bryan, Mamie, Geraldine Niva Johnson, and Mamie Bryan. "This is just out of our old clothes.". Sparta, North Carolina, 1978. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000005/.
APA citation style:
Bryan, M., Johnson, G. N. & Bryan, M. (1978) "This is just out of our old clothes.". Sparta, North Carolina. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000005/.
MLA citation style:
Bryan, Mamie, Geraldine Niva Johnson, and Mamie Bryan. "This is just out of our old clothes.". Sparta, North Carolina, 1978. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000005/>.