Audio Recording "I done it by hand a long time, but now I usually piece by machine."
About this Item
- "I done it by hand a long time, but now I usually piece by machine."
- Contributor Names
- Johnson, Geraldine Niva, 1940- (Interviewer)
- Patton, Ila, 1905-2001 (Interviewee)
- Patton, Ila, 1905-2001 (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Galax, Virginia
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - Ethnography
- - Interviews
- - United States -- Virginia -- Galax
- - Geraldine Johnson described Ila Patton's quilts as "not fancy, but very interesting and well made." They include utility crazy and strip quilts, as well as a recent Cathedral Window, which is a novelty construction popular in the 1970s. The variety of Mrs. Patton's quilts, her recollections of learning to quilt from her grandmother, and her primary interest in making quilts for family rather than to sell are some of the key elements brought out in this "very useful and informative" interview.
- - Transcription: GJ: When you, uh, when you pieced your quilts, for your own use, did you use a machine or did you do it by hand? / IP: Well, I done it by hand a long time, and then I began to use the machine. I could do it quicker. And I'd just use the machine. Course, I didn't quilt on the machine. I quilted by hand. / GJ: Do you piece 'em now by machine, or / IP: Yeah, when I piece, I usually piece by machine. You know, I can get more done and quicker that way. And it lasts longer, too, they stay together better.
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Sound tape reel : 7 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1982/009: BR8-GJ-R91
- Source Collection
- Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project Collection (AFC 1982/009)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Chicago citation style:
Johnson, Geraldine Niva, Ila Patton, and Ila Patton. "I done it by hand a long time, but now I usually piece by machine.". Galax, Virginia, 1978. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000023/.
APA citation style:
Johnson, G. N., Patton, I. & Patton, I. (1978) "I done it by hand a long time, but now I usually piece by machine.". Galax, Virginia. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000023/.
MLA citation style:
Johnson, Geraldine Niva, Ila Patton, and Ila Patton. "I done it by hand a long time, but now I usually piece by machine.". Galax, Virginia, 1978. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000023/>.