Photos, Prints, Drawings 1992 3rd Place National Winner
About this Item
- 1992 3rd Place National Winner
- Other Title
- Title of Quilt: Fireweeds, Fiddleheads, and Fairies
- Contributor Names
- Keehr, Brenda (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Fairbanks, North Star Borough, Alaska, 1991 - 1992
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - Quilt patterns
- - quilt piecing
- - quilt tops
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - artistic hobbies
- - star quilts
- - quilt blocks
- - art quilts
- - cotton fabrics
- - quilt art
- - quilt templates
- - feather pattern quilts
- - feathered star quilts
- - flannel
- - quilt backing
- - wholecloth quilts
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Alaska -- North Star Borough -- Fairbanks
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 66" x 66"
- - Pattern learned from Quilt book.
- - Other techniques used include: "All-over hand stitched background -- outline stitch, Feather sititch, Channel or Grid, Trapunto"
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "Used traditional material, including flannel back which is more difficult to work on. She was told the traditional material and difficulty of the work" were some reasons for winning.
- - How long have you been making quilts? "This was my first quilt." / How did you learn to quilt? "Self taught from books."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "Personal goal -- prize money -- she had made a number of quilt blocks intending to make a quilt but they always ended up as throw pillows. Her sister gave her an entry form for the Lands' End contest and suggested 'go for it' -- she did."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- 35mm color slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 8934 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
North Star Borough
Feather Pattern Quilts
Feathered Star Quilts
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Keehr, Brenda. 1992 3rd Place National Winner. Fairbanks, North Star Borough, Alaska, - 1992, 1992. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000424/. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Keehr, B. (1992) 1992 3rd Place National Winner. Fairbanks, North Star Borough, Alaska, - 1992. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000424/.
MLA citation style:
Keehr, Brenda. 1992 3rd Place National Winner. Fairbanks, North Star Borough, Alaska, - 1992, 1992. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000424/>.