Photo, Print, Drawing 1992 Oregon State Winner
About this Item
- 1992 Oregon State Winner
- Contributor Names
- Sugiyama, Yuki (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Portland, Oregon, January, 1983 - March, 1983
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - artistic hobbies
- - synthetic fabrics
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Oregon -- Portland
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 98" x 100"
- - If your quilt is based on a traditional pattern or an earlier quilt, what is the name of the pattern? Where did you learn the pattern? "Because I like applique, design for pattern was my own idea seemingly various quilt book. Applique quilt I have all ready made over 25 quilts."
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "Japanese Kimono cloth is from my brother's old Yukata which I brought back from Japan, nearly 50 years old but the material looks so new that I decide to use on this quilt."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "My friends in quilting encouraged me to enter quilt shows so that many people can enjoy seeing my quilt."
- - How long have you been making quilts? How did you learn to quilt? "Started quilting in 1982. My background: graduated from sewing design college in Tokyo. In 1982 ealy my friends who was quilters asked to join NW Quilts, work on quilt at Oregon Historical Society."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "No change, I have many more quilts that I have made and enter quilts in competitions. In 1990's I was invited to put on a one man show of my quilts and Japanese dolls that I made at the Pacific University in Oregon for 15 days very well received by thousands of visitors and students. This I enjoyed very much."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 8972 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sugiyama, Yuki. Oregon State Winner. Oregon Portland United States, 1992. Portland, Oregon, January, - March. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000459/.
APA citation style:
Sugiyama, Y. (1992) Oregon State Winner. Oregon Portland United States, 1992. Portland, Oregon, January, - March. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000459/.
MLA citation style:
Sugiyama, Yuki. Oregon State Winner. Portland, Oregon, January, - March. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000459/>.