Photo, Print, Drawing 1994 Kansas State Winner
About this Item
- 1994 Kansas State Winner
- Contributor Names
- Singer, Vivian R. (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Iola, Kansas, December 1, 1992 - August 21, 1993
- Subject Headings
- - Gifts
- - Quilting
- - Quilt patterns
- - quilt piecing
- - quilt tops
- - embroidery
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - commemorative quilts
- - star quilts
- - travelog quilts
- - quilt blocks
- - synthetic fabrics
- - cotton fabrics
- - pictorial quilts
- - quilt templates
- - wholecloth quilts
- - stars over the Smokies quilts
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Kansas -- Iola
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 100" x 100"
- - If your quilt is based on a traditional pattern or an earlier quilt, what is the name of the pattern? "Only the Star pattern was provided. The maker was expected to design the scenes." / Where did you learn the pattern? "From Georgia Bonesteel's book MORE ABOUT LAP QUILTING."
- - "I used a Flexible Curvemaker tool to cut and place designs."
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "Some I had on hand; some was given to me; and I purchased a variety of colors and prints suitable for my designs."
- - Quiltmaker's motivation: This quilt was made "to depict travel adventures of members of our family."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "Family members urged me to enter the contest, for recognition of the quilt for its unique designàI have prepared a scrapbook, complete with a picture of each quilt block and the source picture for the design. It tells the story of which family member had that adventure. It was made to be a heritage quilt."
- - How long have you been making quilts? "I began in 1984 when I retired. This quilt was made in late '92 and 1993." / How did you learn to quilt? "Mostly from written instructions in books."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "It has given me the realization that I could create artistically. Design patterns selected were chosen from family photos, National Park brochures and books, magazine pictures. Many were created from just memory of the scene. The scenes, portraying family adventures, are machine stitched. All other piecing and quilting was handstitched."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 9010 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
- Applique Quilts
- Batting (Textiles)
- Commemorative Quilts
- Cotton Fabrics
- Hand Quilting
- Machine Quilting
- Pictorial Quilts
- Quilt Blocks
- Quilt Patterns
- Quilt Piecing
- Quilt Templates
- Quilt Tops
- Star Quilts
- Stars Over the Smokies Quilts
- Synthetic Fabrics
- Travelog Quilts
- Wholecloth Quilts
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Singer, Vivian R. Kansas State Winner. United States Kansas Iola, 1994. Iola, Kansas, December 1, 1992. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000490/.
APA citation style:
Singer, V. R. (1994) Kansas State Winner. United States Kansas Iola, 1994. Iola, Kansas, December 1, 1992. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000490/.
MLA citation style:
Singer, Vivian R. Kansas State Winner. Iola, Kansas, December 1, 1992. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000490/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, Drawing1992 Wisconsin State Winner
- Contributor: Kailhofer, Patricia
- Date: 1992
Photo, Print, Drawing1994 New Hampshire State Winner
- Contributor: Patch, Adele
- Date: 1994
Photo, Print, Drawing1994 Nebraska State Winner
- Contributor: Koehler, Fran
- Date: 1994
Photo, Print, Drawing1996 Ohio State Winner
- Contributor: Millward, Hazel I.
- Date: 1996
Photo, Print, Drawing1996 Virginia State Winner
- Contributor: Elvgren, J.
- Date: 1996