Photo, Print, Drawing 1994 Rhode Island State Winner
About this Item
- 1994 Rhode Island State Winner
- Contributor Names
- Timby, Deborah Bird (Creator)
- Created / Published
- San Diego, California and Newport, Rhode Island, 1992 - 1993
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - quilt piecing
- - quilt tops
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - artistic hobbies
- - commemorative quilts
- - travelog quilts
- - art quilts
- - cotton fabrics
- - pictorial quilts
- - quilt art
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Rhode Island -- Newport
- - United States -- California -- San Diego
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 65" x 63"
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "I selected fabrics that were blue, red, green and tan to represent blue sky and the colors of the Italian flag, Also I wanted prints that were similar to marble patterns."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "Public recognition was nice, but since I have no public ambitions, it was a private reward. I felt I could win at a state level, especially a small state like Rhode Island. I rarely enter quilts in competiton."
- - How long have you been making quilts? "Since 1978." / How did you learn to quilt? "Self taught plus classes."
- - Has being a winner in the Lands' End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quiltmaker? "It made a difference for a little while with local publicity that mistakenly got picked up by the AP wire with an article in a Maine paper that my parents happened to read one morning at breakfast. I can now refer to myself as 'award winning quilter' and now do things that appeal to me instead of considering the taste of judges."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 9033 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Timby, Deborah Bird. Rhode Island State Winner. California Newport Rhode Island San Diego United States, 1994. San Diego, California and Newport, Rhode Island, - 1993. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000509/.
APA citation style:
Timby, D. B. (1994) Rhode Island State Winner. California Newport Rhode Island San Diego United States, 1994. San Diego, California and Newport, Rhode Island, - 1993. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000509/.
MLA citation style:
Timby, Deborah Bird. Rhode Island State Winner. San Diego, California and Newport, Rhode Island, - 1993. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000509/>.