Photos, Prints, Drawings 1994 Washington State Winner
About this Item
- 1994 Washington State Winner
- Other Title
- Title of Quilt: Marsh Memories
- Contributor Names
- Lee, Kathy A. (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Bothell, Washington, January, 1990 - September, 1993
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - quilt tops
- - embroidery
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - artistic hobbies
- - synthetic fabrics
- - art quilts
- - cotton fabrics
- - pictorial quilts
- - quilt art
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Washington -- Bothell
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 70" x 51.5"
- - If your quilt is based on a traditional pattern or an earlier quilt, what is the name of the pattern? "It evolved as I went along. I had an image in my mind of the overall theme and design."
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "My quilt represented animals in a marsh or swamp. I chose fabric that came as close as possible to the color or texture of the animal or plant I was working on. My only disappointment is the fabric used in the sky. It is not holding its color. Eventually it will lose the color contrast and it will not have as much visual impact. This is due to the fabric itself and not to direct contact with sunlight. It was purchased on the bolt at a quilt shop so I had no reason to suspect it was inferior."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "For fun, to see the judges response, prize money."
- - How long have you been making quilts? How did you learn to quilt? "About 15 years, mainly self taught."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "It was exciting to be included among the state winners. I would consider entering a similar contest in the future."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 9041 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
ContributorsLee, Kathy A.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lee, Kathy A. 1994 Washington State Winner. Bothell, Washington, January, - September, 1993, 1994. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000517/. (Accessed October 24, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Lee, K. A. (1994) 1994 Washington State Winner. Bothell, Washington, January, - September, 1993. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000517/.
MLA citation style:
Lee, Kathy A. 1994 Washington State Winner. Bothell, Washington, January, - September, 1993, 1994. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000517/>.