Photo, Print, Drawing 1996 Utah State Winner Title of Quilt: Ecstasy -- The Goddess Within
About this Item
- 1996 Utah State Winner
- Other Title
- Title of Quilt: Ecstasy -- The Goddess Within
- Contributor Names
- Elmer, Susan E. (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Pleasant Grove, Utah, January 10, 1996 - February 2, 1997
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - Quilt patterns
- - quilt tops
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - synthetic fabrics
- - cotton fabrics
- - pictorial quilts
- - album quilts
- - sampler quilts
- - linen
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Utah -- Pleasant Grove
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 80" x 96"
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "Each fabric chosen for color, texture and emotional appeal. Over all colors chosen to draw the observer into the experience and find the deeper meanings and pictures incorporated within the quilt."
- - Quiltmaker's motivation: "Celebration of the divine nature of women"
- - How long have you been making quilts? "Thirty years." / How did you learn to quilt? "From my mother and grandmother as well as much exploring and adventuring on my own."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "I feel that it is extremely important that women everywhere need reminding that we are unique, with god-given gifts and talents. This is my way of making that statement visually."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "My life and my heart have changed as a result of creating this quilt. This contest was the catalyst that gave me the courage to attempt the project. My mind is now overflowing with ideas for future picture quilts."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 9106 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
FormatPhoto, Print, Drawing
ContributorsElmer, Susan E.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Elmer, Susan E. 1996 Utah State Winner. Pleasant Grove United States Utah, 1996. Pleasant Grove, Utah, - February 2, 1997. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000579/. (Accessed July 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Elmer, S. E. (1996) 1996 Utah State Winner. Pleasant Grove United States Utah, 1996. Pleasant Grove, Utah, - February 2, 1997. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000579/.
MLA citation style:
Elmer, Susan E. 1996 Utah State Winner. Pleasant Grove, Utah, - February 2, 1997. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000579/>.