Photos, Prints, Drawings 1992 Minnesota State Winner Title of Quilt: Autumn Sunset
About this Item
- 1992 Minnesota State Winner
- Other Title
- Title of Quilt: Autumn Sunset
- Contributor Names
- Hedin, Susan R. (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Stillwater, Washington County, Minnesota, September, 1990 - January, 1991
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - quilt piecing
- - quilt tops
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - commemorative quilts
- - synthetic fabrics
- - cotton fabrics
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Minnesota -- Washington County -- Stillwater
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 107" x 81"
- - If your quilt is based on a traditional pattern or an earlier quilt, what is the name of the pattern? Where did you learn the pattern? "I designed the quilt using a contemporary take on a variety of traditional geometric patterns. The hand quilting adds significantly to the design."
- - "The quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted."
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "I enjoy working with 100% cotton or other natural fibers. I also tend to use solely solid colors. By using solids I believe I avoid the "dated" look of many printed fabrics. I also enjoy the deep pure hues of solids and in particular dark colors. I usually incorporate black into the design to 'frame' the colored sections and to intensify the colors. I believe the effect of this is a more dramatic quilt."
- - Quiltmaker's motivation: This quilt is a commemoration of a public event, the All-American Quilt Contest: "Several months after completing my 1st quilt, I was paging through the Lands End catalogue and noticed the ad for the All-American Quilt contest and request for entries. I made this quilt specifically for the contest; it was a personal challenge."
- - How long have you been making quilts? "Since 1990." / How did you learn to quilt? "I learned to sew as a young girl. Quilting became a natural extension. I also spent a lot of time with a stack of quilting books."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "My primary reason for entering was as a personal challenge. Being recognized as a winner was wonderful; I now knew that I could produce competition quality pieces. I have since entered several quilts in various shows and competitions. I have had an entry exhibited in Paducah, KY at the American Quilters Soc. I have also had a gallery show in my hometown of Stillwater and an exhibit at the local arts council events."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "Yes! By becoming a winner I was inspired to continue quilting, to experiment with design and color, and to unhesitatingly enter other shows and competitions."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 8958 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
ContributorsHedin, Susan R.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hedin, Susan R. 1992 Minnesota State Winner. Stillwater, Washington County, Minnesota, September, - January, 1991, 1992. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000587/. (Accessed February 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Hedin, S. R. (1992) 1992 Minnesota State Winner. Stillwater, Washington County, Minnesota, September, - January, 1991. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000587/.
MLA citation style:
Hedin, Susan R. 1992 Minnesota State Winner. Stillwater, Washington County, Minnesota, September, - January, 1991, 1992. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000587/>.