Book/Printed Material Early voyages to California ...
About this Item
- Early voyages to California ...
- Albert Peabody (1806-1879) and John Eagleston were Salem, Massachusetts merchants who sailed to California in the last months of 1848 to exploit the market for Eastern goods among the miners. Early voyages to California (1874) reprints two pieces from the Historical Collections of the Essex Institute. In the first, Peabody describes his December 1848 sailing with a cargo of foodstuffs and mining tools for the California gold camps, where he remained until 1851. Highlights include a voyage round the Horn and business life in San Francisco and Sacramento. In the second, Eagleston recounts his voyage in October 1848 and his brief stay in San Francisco to sell his cargo before returning east in the summer of 1849.
- Peabody, Alfred, 1806-1879.
- Eagleston, John H.
Created / Published
- [Salem, Mass., Printed at the Salem press, 1874]
- The early days and rapid growth of California, by Alfred Peabody -- Account of an early California voyage, by J.H. Eagleston.
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - California--History
- - Business--California
- - Each part has also special t.p.
- - "From Essex institute historical collections, vol. XII, no. 2."
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 32 p. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .E2
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Peabody, Alfred, and John H Eagleston. Early voyages to California. [Salem, Mass., Printed at the Salem press, 1874] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000777/.
APA citation style:
Peabody, A. & Eagleston, J. H. (1874) Early voyages to California. [Salem, Mass., Printed at the Salem press] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000777/.
MLA citation style:
Peabody, Alfred, and John H Eagleston. Early voyages to California. [Salem, Mass., Printed at the Salem press, 1874] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000777/>.