Book/Printed Material Thirty years in California; a contribution to the history of the state from 1849 to 1879.
About this Item
- Thirty years in California; a contribution to the history of the state from 1849 to 1879.
- Samuel Hopkins Willey (1821-1914), a Presbyterian seminarian in Massachusetts, sailed to California as a home missionary in December 1848. He was a chaplain of the 1849 constitutional convention and served churches in San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Benecia. From 1862 to 1869 he headed the College of California at Berkeley, which was turned over to the University of California. Thirty years in California (1879) contains his recollections of Presbyterian congregations in Monterey and San Francisco and the founding of the Howard Presbyterian Church in Happy Valley. He describes religious and civil affairs in San Francisco through the 1850s and his role as head of the College of California.
- Willey, Samuel H. (Samuel Hopkins), 1821-1914.
Created / Published
- San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft & co., printers, 1879.
- - California--History
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Religion and ethics--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 76 p. 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F862 .W7
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Willey, Samuel H. Thirty years in California; a contribution to the history of the state fromto 1879. San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft & co., printers, 1879. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000831/.
APA citation style:
Willey, S. H. (1879) Thirty years in California; a contribution to the history of the state fromto 1879. San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft & co., printers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000831/.
MLA citation style:
Willey, Samuel H. Thirty years in California; a contribution to the history of the state fromto 1879. San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft & co., printers, 1879. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000831/>.