Book/Printed Material Californian pictures in prose and verse,
About this Item
- Californian pictures in prose and verse,
- New York journalist Benjamin Parke Avery (1828-1875) emigrated to California and became part owner of the Marysville Appeal in the 1850s and later published a newspaper in San Francisco and served as state printer. Californian pictures in prose and verse (1878) contains his "word-sketches," which are largely confined to California scenery, although some picture Native Americans and miners whom he knew when he prospected on the Trinity River in 1850 as well as the city of San Francisco. Most of the book is devoted to poems and essays dealing with mountains of the Coast Range, the Sierra Nevadas, and the Santa Cruz range and their passes and lakes; Yosemite, upper Sacramento Valley, Mount Shasta, and the geysers.
- Avery, Benjamin Parke, 1828-1875.
Created / Published
- New York, Hurd and Houghton; Cambridge, The Riverside press, 1878.
- - California--Description and travel
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- vi, -344 p. front., illus., plates. 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F866 .A94
- calbk 022 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gdc/calbk.022
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Avery, Benjamin Parke. Californian Pictures in Prose and Verse. New York, Hurd and Houghton; Cambridge, The Riverside press, 1878. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000833/.
APA citation style:
Avery, B. P. (1878) Californian Pictures in Prose and Verse. New York, Hurd and Houghton; Cambridge, The Riverside press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000833/.
MLA citation style:
Avery, Benjamin Parke. Californian Pictures in Prose and Verse. New York, Hurd and Houghton; Cambridge, The Riverside press, 1878. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000833/>.