Book/Printed Material Granite crags;
About this Item
- Granite crags;
- Constance Frederica Gordon-Cumming (1837-1924) was an Englishwoman who sailed from Tahiti to San Francisco in April 1878 and remained in California for five months. Granite crags (1884) is a volume of her travel letters detailing visits to San Rafael, the redwood forsets, the San Joaquín and Sacramento Valleys, Yosemite, Oakland, and Tulare Lake. She evinces great interest in hydraulic mining operations and quartz mining near Sonora and the Stanislaus River and gives special attention to the region's botany and agriculture as well as recounting tales of the Gold Rush and San Francisco in the lawless 1850s.
- Gordon Cumming, C. F. (Constance Frederica), 1837-1924.
Created / Published
- Edinburgh, London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1884.
- - California--Description and travel
- - Yosemite Valley (Calif.)
- - Law--Political aspects--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Travels in California.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- viii p., 1 l., 384 p. front., plates, fold. map. 21 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F866 .G66
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gordon Cumming, C. F. Granite Crags. Edinburgh, London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1884. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000849/.
APA citation style:
Gordon Cumming, C. F. (1884) Granite Crags. Edinburgh, London, W. Blackwood and sons. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000849/.
MLA citation style:
Gordon Cumming, C. F. Granite Crags. Edinburgh, London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1884. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000849/>.